The Oracle 11g patch … that’s 11.1.0.7.0

I think one annoying error that I’ve suffered with on Microsoft Vista with Oracle 11g is the nmefwmi.exe error. I got a message from Microsoft saying it’s fixed. They refer to Oracle Bug #6596234, but it’s really fixed in the Oracle 11g patch (11.1.0.7.0). Therefore, don’t waste your time looking for a one-off patch on metalink.

You can ignore this message on Vista that says refer to Bug #6596234 … by the way it’s actually under patch #6890831. Only the Linux and Solaris ports are available as of today.

October 7th, 2008 at 8:25 pm

9 Responses to 'The Oracle 11g patch … that’s 11.1.0.7.0'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'The Oracle 11g patch … that’s 11.1.0.7.0'.

1. Hello Michael,

We have the problem with the “nmefwmi.exe” error on two machines as well since we have installed Microsoft’s Service Pack 2 for Vista.

As far as I have seen on Oracle Metalink, no patch has been published to fix the problem so far. But in their knowledgebase in document 745965.1 Oracle recommend to either install the new version 11.1.0.7 or to do some stuff in the database control page.

The problem is: On one of out two machines, we can’t get onto that page. Closer examination has shown that there is a problem with with the dbconsole service: When requesting its status in the command console with “emctl status dbconsole” we most often get a “not running” but sometimes a “running” message, too. The according service in the Windows administration control panel is always up and running though.

Any idea what could be the root of the problem and how to fix it without reinstalling the entire RDBMS and database?

Thanks and best regards,
    Markus

Markus

2. Markus,

I’ve not applied Service Pack 2 yet. However, I’ll test it later today and update the blog with my findings.

3. Hello Michael,

Thanks – have you found out anything so far?

I believe only the problem with the nmefwmi.exe error is connected to Vista (Service Pack 2) as this occurs on both of our machines. Applying Oracle’s workaround I found on Metalink removed the annoying messages on one of our machines where I could get to the database control page.

The problem with the dbconsole service only occurs on the other computer, though. When requesting the status you most often get a “not running” message as I have explained above, but if you want to start it with “emctl status dbconsole” you will get notified, that the service actually has already been started. Due to this started/not-started status of the service I am not able to get onto the database control page and apply Oracle’s workaround for the nmefwmi.exe error. – That is why I want to fix that dbconsole problem…

Best regards,
    Markus

Markus

4. I’m staging a test environment right now. I’ll apply Vista SP2 later today and update you with my findings. It’s running Oracle 11g (11.1.0.7.0) on SP1 presently. I didn’t have time over the weekend or yet to test it. I’ll try to finish it tomorrow.

5. Hello Michael,

I have been able to solve the problem with the dbconsole service: I reconfigured the Enterprise Manager as described in this Oracle-Base article.

Afterwards, it was no problem to apply Oracle’s workaround for the nmefwmi.exe error.

Best regards,
    Markus

Markus

6. You might find this one useful too …

7. Hi, Im running Oracle 11g with 11.1.0.6 patch, Im developing application for my Final Project related with Semantic Oracle, I’ve found some bugs and on forum says that it has been fixed on 11.1.0.7, and i’ve problem with Oracle Metalink Account, can you post to my email Oracle Patch 11.1.0.7, I dont have any Oracle Metalink Acc.

Thanks
    –Khd–

koharudin

8. Koharudin,

If you’re on Linux/Unix, you’ll need to fix your metalink account because it would be contrary to license agreements for anyone other than Oracle to provide you a copy of Oracle licensed software. If you’re on Windows, you can download it from Oracle’s web page.

Regards,

9. Thanks Michael,, I’ve already installed Oracle 11.1.0.7 now and activated semantic patch that already in installation directory….

Best Regards,