Excel string parsing

Parsing strings isn’t the easiest thing to do in Excel 2007 or Excel 2008 but it is an important thing to know how to do. You’ll learn how to parse a set names into first, middle and last names. You can find the data set for these examples at the bottom of the blog post.

February 27th, 2009 at 10:15 pm

14 Responses to 'Excel string parsing'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Excel string parsing'.

1. I thought this has helped me alot to understand Parsing and it is simple and easy to understand. The examples helped me and I feel like I can do this a lot better now.

Kyle Shurtliff

2. Thanks – clear, used parsing in Lotus 123, just catching up !!

Mike Egerton

3. I found this page to be immensely useful in figuring out how to parse strings from the right. Logical and well thought out.

Bob Jensen

4. This was clear and consise. Thank you!

Tony Grace

5. Very well written, thank you. This article saved me a ton of time!

Brian S

6. A shorter version for the left substring parsing:
    =LEFT(A1,IFERROR(FIND(” “,A1),LEN(A1)))

Mc

7. Great post! helped me quickly.
    Thank you so much.

Pal Ram

8. This was a great in depth tutorial that really guided me through why you needed the IFERROR and not just the FIND function. Thank You.

Izzy Haggen

9. Thanks – I used your approach (nested FIND functions) to parse the file name out of a file path (delimiting on “/”) without using VB.

This approach only works if you have a reasonably low limit to the number of segments you’re expecting. In my case, using the pasted formula below, the limit is six delimiters (folders). I’ll include a copy in case it helps someone reading these comments :)

To parse out the last value in a delimited list of 6 or fewer values, use this formula but replace A1 with the location of your string, and “/” with your actual delimiter:

=LEFT(RIGHT(A1, LEN(A1)-IFERROR(FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, 1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1), IFERROR(FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, 1)+1)+1)+1)+1), FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, 1)+1)+1)+1)))), LEN(RIGHT(A1, LEN(A1)-IFERROR(FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, 1)+1)+1)+1)+1)+1), IFERROR(FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, 1)+1)+1)+1)+1), FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, FIND("/", A1, 1)+1)+1)+1)))))-4)

Jeff Geurts

10. Very useful. Thanks for posting. @JeffGeurts: It was easy for me to adapt your very long formula to grab each Web Service name from a list of long URLs. I didn’t have an extension to strip so I removed the -4 at the end. I also updated the start position from 1 to 50 in each location that had “, A1, 1)” which is a handy way to reduce the length if you have a common base URL that you can just discard.

zephans

11. Incredibly helpful. Thanks for this post.

mkubica

12. Thank you *so much* for this post. I have trouble parsing strings myself, and a student I was tutoring needed to learn it for a test. I used your page as instructional material. You are just excellent at explaining such difficult logical concepts in a way the student could learn them for the test and apply them in real time. I really appreciate the work you put into the post. You have taught me a lot. Thanks again!

Monika

I have been trying to understand this subject and not having one ounce of programming skill I am still struggling despite the detialed explanation.

I simply want to parse this string;

1. Burlington Gardens 100

so that;
    1. goes to cell A1, Burlington Gardens goes to cell A2 and 100 goes to cell A3

The 2 text words (Burlington Gardens) may sometimes be one word or three, but a space character is always the delimiter.

CNXTim

14. Mormon prophets! Woo-woo!

Greg