Oracle 11g XE Install

Here’s the Oracle Database 11g Express Edition step-by-step installation. I did the installation on Window 7 64-bit, and did run into a problem with the Windows Registry on a fresh installation (posted earlier on the blog).

When you download the software from Oracle, you’ll need an account and you’ll need to accept the license agreement.

1. You’re prompted to accept the license agreement and can’t proceed without doing it.

1. After accepting the license agreement you can download the software.

1. Unlike, the Oracle 10g XE MSI file, you’ve downloaded a compressed (OracleXE112_Win32.zip) file, and you’ll need to explode the zip file and write it to a directory. When you write it to a directory, it looks like the following and you double click on the setup.msi file.

It’s recommended that you right click on the setup.msi program and run it as the Administrator. If you’ve not disabled Microsoft User Access Controls (UAC), I’d do that first.

1. After launching the setup.msi file, you see the Install Shield wizard screen while the file loads, like this:

After launching the setup.msi file, and loading the MSI file, you see the first dialog box of the installation. Click the Next button to start the installation.

1. The second dialog box is the license for the installation. Click the I accept the terms in the license agreement. radio button and then the Next button.

1. The third dialog box lets you accept the default location or provide an override location. If you accept the default location, click the Next button to continue.

1. The fourth dialog box lets you specify the TNS, MTS, and HTTP Ports. The default values are shown in the following screen shot but I’ve change my TNS port to 1621, which you’ll see later. Click the Next button to continue.

1. The fifth dialog box lets you enter the password for the SYS and SYSTEM users. You must enter it twice and naturally they must match each other. Click the Next button to continue.

1. The sixth dialog box lets you see the configuration options you’ve chosen. Note that this installation is using a TNS port of 1621 rather than the default of 1521. Click the Next button to continue.

1. The seventh dialog box lets you see the progress bar, take a break it can run for two or three minutes. Click the Next button to continue.

1. The last dialog box lets you see that you’ve installed the product. Click the Finish button to complete the installation.

You’ve now installed Oracle Database 11g Express Edition. You can start the command line by typing sqlplus system/password in command shell or the Get Started option in your Program Menus, as shown below.

You should see this console when you launch Get Started or manually type http://localhost:8080/apex. There’s more to the web page but I scrunched it to fit into the blog. Alas, space is always at a premium.

Hope this helps folks.

September 13th, 2011 at 11:06 am

41 Responses to 'Oracle 11g XE Install'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Oracle 11g XE Install'.

1. [...] posted Step-by-step Installation Instructions [...]

2. this did help me a lot,thank u dude

deepak

3. Hi There,
    When i run SQLPLUS from command prompt i get below error massege.

C:\>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Sun Jan 1 17:59:49 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: system/********
    ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Any idea why this error is occuring
    thanks
    Yogs.

yog

4. The ORA-12560 error is often thrown for the same reasons as the TNS-03505 error. Something isn’t resolving at the TCP/IP mapping layer. Try this:

tnsping xe

Check your tnsnames.ora entry, and determine if its IP address or hostname. If you’ve not given your machine a hostname entry in the following file, it may be localhost or an IP address:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Check this post for the settings that should be in that file, lines 1-3 for a DHCP connection. Also, if you have an IP value, is it the current value of your machine? You can use ipconfig at the command line to find your current IP address.

5. Hi, is there a x64 express version ? I couldn’t find on their page,so anyone knowing whether installing the 32 bit express version on a 64 bit machine is safe ? Or is the bulky enterprise version more suitable for that ? Thanks in advance.

raghav

6. Last time I checked, there wasn’t one. Here’s the problem I encountered when installing it.

7. Hi, For each and every unexpected behaviour/error see the installation logs at C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\config\log. It will tell what went wrongs during installation.

In my case, it shows some thing related to windows events are full. I cleared all the events, de-install oracle and re-install. Everything is perfect.

zap

8. Hi Mac,
    Thanks for this great article, I already finished my installation… and everything it seems alright… but when I try to go to http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950, it’s shown Unable to connect message .. how can I fix this issue?

Thank’s alot..

Alwin

9. Hey Mac,
    I’m trying to install Oracle Database XE 11g release 2 on a Windows 7 x64 PC. i’m having the following problems:

1. Error Message: Installer is unable to instantiate the file.
    2. During installation step 7. didnot occur.
    3. http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 shows “Internet cannot display the page” message.

Now, I followed your other post where you have explained the changing of Data value in the registry key.. but i think that didn’t work causing the 3rd problem. and isn’t 127.0.0.1:8080 IP address of localhost at port 8080?

thanks!!

Vivek Yadav

10. Make sure your hosts file matches the Machine Name and description and use the Perl scripts to verify the ability to resolve the hostname and localhost.

11. HI,
    First of all thanks a lot for your this kind of information sharing and its working nicely with my laptop with 64 -bit windows.

Abhishek

12. What happens if i didn’t install it as the administrator?

Yuta Lolap

13. Did you perform the installation as a user with Administrator privileges? If so, you will need to fix several privileges to ensure access to files or you need to disable UAC.

14. Thanks for this. It was spot on and got me through the 11g installation w/o hiccups.

Windows 7 64 bit

Yoni

15. I install Oracle11g XE in my Windows7, and when try to start it. But the below error occurs.

Windows cannot find http://127.0.0.1:%HTTPPORT%/apex/f?p=4950. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

please help.

thanking you advance.

Ajit

16. The installation failed to resolve the network and didn’t install/configure APEX.

17. How to resolve the above the issue

damodar

18. You can manually uninstall and install APEX 4.0. Alternatively, you can re-install the product.

19. Ok

omar

20. im not getting 4th window(ports)while i run setup file

priya

21. Curious! Did the installation succeed? Did you already have an instance previously configured?

22. Great blog Michael! I have the problem of not being able to connect! I’m installing on a notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I’ve installed and uninstalled the Loopback Adapters! So I can not insert it into a domain to be described in the hosts file. I’m now following the doc http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#BABIAEEC, but I fear by the domain question in the hosts file (Example: IP_address hostname.domainname hostname)!
    T.I.A.
    Sandro (Brazil)

Sandro Costa

23. As a rule, you should install on Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate because Home editions lack networking components. The Home edition is a client machine, whereas the Professional and Ultimate are workstations. Infrequently, folks get it to work on Windows 7 Home Edition due to variations between how OEM software packaging selects components for the install.

24. Hi
    i need to build application on 11g express and need to
    access schema from my remote database 10g how can i
    any idea because we i create database application i need to select schema from my remote database 10g not from the local 11g express

Moin

25. You can do that with DB_LINKs unless you’re working with LOB transfers. LOBs require a Java intermediary, which is often Hibernate.

26. Would someone have succeeded to install correctly on windows 8 64-bits pro the Oracle Xe version 11.2.0? and to connect to http://localhost:8080/apex/f?p=4950 ???
    How to do?

randria

27. Yes, I’ve installed it several times but not once without a registry error. The error occurs in different keys but the pattern of fixing it is the same. You need to determine what’s wrong with the registry key while leaving the Oracle installer in stasis (paused) while you fix it. If you precede without fixing it, it causes multiple failures in the Windows’ registry.

28. hi,

I have instal oracle 11g XE in windows 7 ultimate 32-bit.But i have problem to connect in run sql command line

pls help me to start db

thanks in advance

have a nice day

preethi

29. “Internet cannot display the page” message after express is installed for days. I had the same problem and kept clicking on the server icon, but the same error kept showing. The fix is:

1. Go to My Computer and search on C drive for “Start”.
    2. When you find a shortcut named “Start Database” drag that to your desk top and click on it.
    3. You will see the database start up in 2-4 minutes.
    4. Now you must click on the server icon as before and there will be no error.

NOTE I HAVE SEEN MANY FIXES FOR THIS PROBLEM THAT I Tried and they did not work.

james

30. Thanks.It helped :)…..

Earlier i was geeting error in instantiating file .then i tried editing the registry using regedit command.

It worked.

Anisha

31. hi frnds i’m using windows 8 professional os and i’m unable to install oraclexe112_32version its showing error help me guys.while installing it’s not showing the fourth dialog box any answers..

hari

32. Need Help, not able to install Oracle on my laptop Lenovo Core I5 Intel.

Using paramFile: C:\Users\Chretien\Downloads\Compressed\Oracle\database\install\oraparam.ini

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. Actual 4294967296 Passed

The commandline for unzip:

C:\Users\Chretien\Downloads\Compressed\Oracle\database\install\unzip -qqqo ..\stage\Components\oracle.jdk\1.5.0.17.04\1\DataFiles/"*.jar" -d "C:\Users\Chretien\AppData\Local\Temp\OraInstall2013-07-27_09-40-28PM" INFO: Loading data from: jar:file:/C:/Users/Chretien/AppData/Local/Temp/OraInstall2013-07-27_09-40-28PM/ext/jlib/installcommons_1.0.0b.jar!/oracle/install/driver/oui/resource/ConfigCommandMappings.xml
    INFO: Loading beanstore from jar:file:/C:/Users/Chretien/AppData/Local/Temp/OraInstall2013-07-27_09-40-28PM/ext/jlib/installcommons_1.0.0b.jar!/oracle/install/driver/oui/resource/ConfigCommandMappings.xml
    INFO: Restoring class oracle.install.driver.oui.ConfigCmdMappings from jar:file:/C:/Users/Chretien/AppData/Local/Temp/OraInstall2013-07-27_09-40-28PM/ext/jlib/installcommons_1.0.0b.jar!/oracle/install/driver/oui/resource/ConfigCommandMappings.xml
    INFO: Verifying target environment...
    INFO: Checking whether the IP address of the localhost could be determined...
    SEVERE: CVU do not support target environment..
    Refer associated stacktrace #oracle.install.driver.oui.OUISetupDriver:13
    INFO: Completed verification of target environment.
    WARNING: Verification of target environment returned with errors.
    WARNING: [WARNING] [INS-13001] Environment does not meet minimum requirements.
       CAUSE: Minimum requirements were not met for this environment
       ACTION: Either check the logs for more information or check the supported configurations for this product..
    Refer associated stacktrace #oracle.install.commons.util.exception.DefaultErrorAdvisor:16
    INFO: Advice is WITHDRAW
    WARNING: Advised to shutdown the installer due to target environment verification errors.
    INFO: Adding ExitStatus PREREQ_FAILURE to the exit status set
    INFO: Finding the most appropriate exit status for the current application
    INFO: Exit Status is -3
    INFO: Shutdown Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Installer

Chretien

33. I’ve installed it on many I5′s and Lenovo laptops. Can you provide more information about your machine?

34. Hello Maclochlainn,

My lenovo is
    Model Number: 20150
    G580

Thanks

Chretien

35. That’s not what I need. How much disk space is available, how much memory is available, and whether you’ve disabled UAC.

36. I’ve installed 11gXE on Win 7 64 bit. I can connect to the Get Started page, but I cannot login to the database. I keep getting an invalid credentials error message. I have the password for system correct because I am able to login using the command line sqlplus. Is there a security setting in IE that is stopping me? I installed XE as the Administrator.
    Thanks in advance.

Jim

37. Hi, successfully installed. Now on the login page, what do we enter in the workspace?

Nadir

38. Jim, It could be your browser? Check this other post of mine for browser instructions.

39. Nadir,

I wrote this post on sorting the Workspace out. Hope it helps.

40. Thank you Michael. It helped. Nice post.

Nadir