Site Blocked in Russia?

This is either too funny :-) or too sad. :-(RussianBlock

An acquaintance sent me this image from a cyber cafe or hotel in Russia. It says that my blog site is prohibited and violates Russian law, and that they’re blocking my site in accordance with the Russian Federal Law of 27.07.2006 No. 149-FZ.

All I can say is, “Wow!” I didn’t know that stuff about writing programs, web pages, and solving generic database and operating system problems was so sensitive. For that matter, I didn’t know what I post would interest any government. I half wonder whether my friend’s pulling my leg.

As I reflect on it, could it be that Oracle post on how to write an encrypted object type? or, how with proper OS credentials how you reset MySQL’s root password? or, how to verify a socket in Perl? Nah, it’s probably the one on how to set a static IP in Windows – that’s truly sensitive stuff. ;-)

Does anybody who reads the blog have any clue about what would drive the Russian government to block a technology blog site like mine? My serious guess is that there is somebody who hosts with the same provider who’s done something tacky.

July 14th, 2013 at 8:13 pm

11 Responses to 'Site Blocked in Russia?'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Site Blocked in Russia?'.

1. Very interesting, only usable source I could find was this source but I’m not sure where you run afoul of it.

Jordan

2. Could be more simple, you are at one server with zillions of others pages and someone makes something wrong and you pay for this too.

Kayo Hamid

3. That’s my take on it too. Although, it’s too pricey to pay for a dedicated IP. ;-)

4. Seems to be accessible from St. Petersburg, Russia.

However, I am using a different ISP, not the one on the screenshot. There is no nation-wide blocking system – each ISP is obliged to block individually. And it seems, some ISPs are more eager to block than others.

Sergei Petrunia

5. Indeed, there’s a site (http://zapret-info.gov.ru/) that allows to check where a site, a page, or an ip address is blocked; neither http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/ nor blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com is blocked. But the ip address (74.220.215.65) is. Since 21.03.2013.

here’s a wikipedia article about the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Internet_blacklist

Sergei Golubchik

6. Thanks! So, he wasn’t correct.

7. Great information, thanks!

8. Could have been a temporary block.
    There’s been one discussed here in Australia where the federal agency responsible for dealing with bogus financial investments instructed some of the major ISPs to blacklist an IP address that related to around a thousand web sites.

Roll on IPv6.

Gary

9. I have only tried in on the Megafone ISP, so Sergei may be correct. Like him I also live in St Petersburg. I’ll contact the service provider and see if I can get a better explanation.

Matt Frazier

10. That’s funny..!

Swapnil

11. My housewife training course used to have 300 Russian readers continually…then one day none. I haven’t seen my Russian readers since. I was confused too.

veronica