Word Readability Stats

Some tips and techniques for Word seems like a good add to the blog. At least, those changes that I run into while writing for McGraw-Hill on my new book projects. This shows you how to enable Microsoft Word 2007 and 2008 readability statistics. Yes, it’s moved in the new release.

Word 2007

Microsoft Word 2007 has the Office Button. The Office Button holds the key to what were once tool options. You click on the Office Button in the upper left hand corner. You’ll see the following options dialog. Click the Word Options button to change options.

officebuttonwordopt

Choose the Proofing option in the left column, then check the Show readability statistics check box, as shown. You click the OK button when your done setting Word options.

readabilitystats2007

Word 2008

Microsoft Word 2008 works like Mac OS X applications. You navigate to the Word on the menu and choose Preferences. That launches the following menu set.

wordpref2008

Double click the Spelling and Grammer icon, which launches the Spelling and Grammar options dialog. Check the Show readability statistics box and then click the OK button to save the setting.

wordreadability2008

March 21st, 2009 at 12:30 pm

9 Responses to 'Word Readability Stats'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Word Readability Stats'.

1. Thank you so much for such an easy-to-follow set of directions! The screen shots were perfect!

Larry

2. Very helpful!

Thanks a bunch!

Jen

3. I am so eager to get the readability option and it all worked just fine with your instructions but I CAN’T FIND IT ON WORD NOW! Where is it? I run on a Mac – WORD 2008.

Bruce Sallan

4. The first half of the blog post covers Word 2007 and the second half covers Word 2008. If those aren’t working for you, could you post back what’s happening and I’ll try to help you.

5. I can’t get it to work – the readablity box is greyed out and I can’t put a check in it.

Josh Allen Money

6. What’s the Operating System? What are your permissions – Administrator or something less?

7. For my installation of Word 2007, the bottom section under Proofing Options (Exceptions for:…), the two boxes for the current document are both checked and grayed out. If I select another document, the Hide grammar errors line becomes available.

So, for my current document (which I want readability stats for), I can’t uncheck the hide options. How do I get past this?

John

8. Got the answer! I checked all the boxes under the When correcting spelling and grammar in Word heading. This made the Exceptions for: fields available.

John

9. I have Microsoft Word 2007; the readability stats dialog box does not appear anywhere, although the stats box is checked. I think the older version (2003) flashed them on the screen. Any thoughts?
    Thank you.