Oracle 11g on Windows 7

I finally got around to installing Oracle 11g on Windows 7 Professional Edition, 64-bit (click here for Oracle 11g Release 2 on Windows 7). The only catch was that the Oracle 11g (11.1.0.7) installer validates only against Windows 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 or 6.0. Windows 7 is actually Windows Code Base 6.1, as seen in this screen shot after successful installation:

Windows7VersionScreen

With that knowledge, first you should download the software from Oracle’s web site. You should unzip the contents into another directory. I used a C:\Stage directory. Inside that you’ll find the database directory, and it should look like this:

Oracle11gFolder

1. Click on the setup icon to launch the installer. You should then see the following screen shot. Enter a password for the SYS and SYSTEM users (if you’re coming to Oracle from a MySQL background they’re like the root user in MySQL). When you’ve entered a matching password in both fields, the Install button becomes active. Click the Install button to proceed.

Oracle11gInstall01

1. In this screen, you’re prompted for your Email and MetaLink Password. If this is a test database (a throw away instance without any real data), you can uncheck the box for automatic security updates. You should enter a password even for test databases. Click the Next button to proceed.

Oracle11gInstall02

1. You’ll only see this failure if you’re installing Oracle 11g (11.1.0.7) on a Windows 7 operating system, which is actually version 6.1 according to their code control numbering. You simply check the Checking operating system requirements … and Checking service pack requirements … to override the prerequisite checks. Another error that you may encounter is related to networking. It is a warning and occurs when you’re operating system uses DHCP to get its IP address. You really should configure the operating system with a static IP address. You can set a static IP address in Windows 7 with these instructions.

Oracle11gInstall03

The checked boxes now say User Verified, which means we’re all really powerful, aren’t we? :-) Click the Next button to proceed.

Oracle11gInstall04

1. At this point, you’ll get a Windows System Alert asking you to unblock the installer’s javaw.exe program. You must grant the access or forget about installing Oracle 11g. Click the Allow access button to proceed.

Oracle11gInstall05

1. The dialog tells you what will be installed. Click the Install button to proceed.

Oracle11gInstall06

1. This is the installation progress dialog. It’s running while the Oracle Installer lays down the operating system files for the database management system. It takes about 8 to 9 minutes, so stretch your legs if you want to take a break. When it’s 100% complete, click the Next button to continue.

Oracle11gInstall07

1. After the installation, you’ll see the first of the Configuration Assistants, which is the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant (unfortunately, I didn’t capture that screen shot but I provided a temporary substitute until I re-install it). Provided everything happens successfully, it’ll move to the next step without your intervention.

Oracle11gInstall08a

You should receive another Windows Security Alert (aren’t we glad that I already disabled UAC). You need to click the Allow access button to let java.exe proceed with the installation.

Oracle11gInstall08b

1. This one is exactly where it belongs. It means you have approximately a 5 to 6 minute break while a sample database instance is cloned for you. The cloning process copies a sample compressed database from the installation staging area to your local operating system.

Oracle11gInstall09a

It will prompt you if you want to open any of the other scheme. You can skip this and do it later, or click Password Management to open those scheme and set passwords for them.

Oracle11gInstall09b

1. The last Configuration Assistant is the Oracle Configuration Manager Configuration. It’s a short process, it configures the cloned sample database against your installation names and passwords. When it completes it enables the Next button. Click the Next button to complete the installation.

Oracle11gInstall10

1. You’ve finally reached almost the end of the installation. Click the Exit button on this dialog to proceed to the “are you sure” dialog box.

Oracle11gInstall11

Confirm you meant it, by clicking the Yes button on the final dialog message below.

Oracle11gInstall12

You’ve successfully installed Oracle 11g on Windows 7.

November 27th, 2009 at 6:35 pm

258 Responses to 'Oracle 11g on Windows 7'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Oracle 11g on Windows 7'.

1. Thanks for the great post,
    really helpful and easy to follow.

Inbal

2. Thank you very much for saving me hundreds of hours that could have been wasted trying to install the Oracle 11g on Windows7. On my first laptop it installed without any problems. But when I got the HP laptop I had some problems. Just checking the checkbox it went smoothly. You are my Oracle 11g saver. Once again thank you very much.

Regards,
    Sacikumar

SKD

3. Thanks man, I had doubts about installing 11g on Window 7, but your post convinced and guided me to do it.

Louis Ezeanya

4. Thanks, but I don’t know if that works properly with windows 7 ultimate or not. What release of Oracle 11g are you downloading?

emmy

5. I used Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition (11.1.0.7) for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (x64). Naturally, it was the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Are you encountering a specific problem?

6. Hi

I used this link to install Oracle 11g on my windows 7, it works great. Thanks for the good tips and nice screen shots.. Thanks a ton…

regs
    Jaya

Jaya

7. Hey,

Thanks a lot for the guidance. I am planning to install the same on my Win-7-64 bit laptop. One question: What if we continue ignoring the warning due to DHCP? In other words, do I need to necessarily configure the OS with a Static IP? How would it affect my installation?

Thanks in advance.

Adi

Adi

8. Adi,

Like prior editions of the Windows port of Oracle Database 11g, you can ignore the DHCP warning provided you’ve taken steps to work around it. If you’ve not taken these steps with the hostname configuration, you may run into problems and certainly disable the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).

These are the added configuration steps for a DHCP install:

1. Before installing the product, change the C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file by adding this line beneath the default localhost line:

127.0.0.1       localhost
    127.0.0.1       mclaughlin11g mclaughlin11g.techtinker.com

2. Change the Windows hostname by navigating: Start > Control Panel > System (classic view) from Microsoft’s default assignment of a hostname.

3. Reboot the machine.

If you’ve already installed and are encountering problems connecting to SQL*Plus after performing the aforementioned steps, then do:

1. Change the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin\listener.ora file from an IP number to machine name.

2. Change the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin\tnsnames.ora file from an IP number to a machine name.

3. You can reconfigure your Oracle Enterprise Manager by following the steps in this older post.

4. Reboot the machine. You should also delete any Oracle files remaining after you’ve uninstalled the Oracle Programs. The reboot is the only way to reset the Windows Registry values for a new installation, and then sometimes conflicts exist between Oracle releases. A fresh Registry is always the safest route with an Oracle installation.

9. thanks! this works for the client, too. i was clicking the 1st box but not the 2nd, so you saved me some headache.

donna

10. Hey there,

Thanks for the prompt response but I must confess I am not a techie so I did not understand a few things :

1. In the 1st step, what exactly do I need to do? What is similar to “mclaughlin11g mclaughlin11g.techtinker.com” on my computer? I located the hosts file but I am unable to figure out what line to add exactly.

2. In the 2nd step, I could not find the hostname. Where to find it and if I find it, what should I rename it as?

Those are the questions I have. I would be thankful if you can answer them.

Adi

Adi

11. Adi,

Let’s work on question #2 first. You can open a command prompt by going to Start -> Run, then enter cmd in the dialog. This launches a command-line shell, it’s easiest because otherwise the navigation shifts with each release of Windows. In this command-line, type the following:

C:\> hostname

It’ll return your hostname. You don’t really have to change it but if you want to do so let me know and I’ll post something for you across a few versions of Windows next week. Unfortunatley, I’m in Fort Worth attending a course this week and can’t do that remotely for Windows 7.

Questions #2, just substitute the hostname value for mclaughlin11g. The rest would be your domain, which you can get away with setting to whatever you want or simply only enter your hostname. Most folks set it to the same as their place of business on a laptop. That way it works within the corporate network.

Hope this helps.

i have a problem with oracle client…
    I had Oracle 10 g which did not even show up in the Add or Remove programs.. :(
    I uninstalled it and installed 11g, that got successfully installed, now, when i open the Sql+, it throws a screen and asks for username and password…
    In the password section nothing shows up, even if i enter something..
    On hitting enter…

It gives a messages as ORA:1250 : TNS Protocol adaptor error..

Any suggestions?
    Please help..

pankaj

13. It’s a guess but you probably uninstalled Oracle 10g before you installed Oracle 11g. There are a number of possibilities that may be causing this type of problem on a Windows platform. The easiest solution is to check your %PATH% variable first, like this:

C:\> echo %PATH%
    C:\app\Administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files (x86)\Zend\Core For Oracle\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim72;C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++

You can set the %PATH% and %TNS_ADMIN% environment variables like this:

C:\> set PATH=C:\app\Administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\bin;%PATH%
    C:\> set TNS_ADMIN=C:\app\Administrator\product\11.1.0\db_1\network\admin

If this fixes your problem, you’ve got the old path statements in your Windows master path. You can edit that through the Windows interface or write a script file to set these as noted above. If it doesn’t work, post the results of the echo statement and the contents of the tnsnames.ora file.

14. hey pankaj!!!!! i had the same problem
    here is the solution, go to services and check
    whether that all the services of oracle are running.
    you can set the start type of these services as manual so that you can start them manually so that they don’t eat up your resources

abhishek

15. Abhishek,

Generally, a stopped listener service raises an ORA-12541 error, a paused listener service raises an ORA-12518 error; and a stopped Oracle Service raises an ORA-12514 error. It didn’t seem like that’s the problem because he’s encountering an ORA-12500 error. If you fixed an ORA-12500 by simply starting the service, I’d suspect you have too much running during startup and encountered a memory error. I’ve a list that continues to grow network troubleshooting here. If you’ve more information that you’d like to add, please drop me a note on that page. Thanks for sharing!! :-)

Typically, an ORA-12500 occurs on the Windows platform in two places. First, when the service was created by somebody other than the Administrator, which can be a user with Administrator role but not in the Administrator group. Second, when the machine doesn’t have enough physical or virtual memory to spawn a new dedicated process.

Sometimes a prior install was done by the Administrator, and a subsequent install done by a user with less privilege. Typically, that means that the global path isn’t updated by the installer. That’s why I asked about the %PATH% and %TNS_ADMIN% variables. I probably should have just put this in with the original reply.

I’m having issues with Access and the ODBC connection on Win7 64 bit. I have configured both the wow64 one and the 32 bit within the controlpanel. Any clues?

PS: The test connection do not raise any errors!

Kurt Bilde

17. Hi all,

I have installed oracle11g on windows7 home edition.
    After certifying oracle11g as secure, it took me oracle Enterprise connection manager
    But in the Oracle connection manager page what username and password i should enter??

This link tells me to enter
    Enter system as the User Name and oracle as the Password, and then click Login.

But im not able to login. Please let me know what should i do now? Thanks

Sanjeev

18. Hi all..,

I have installed oracle11g on windows7 home premium edition(32 bit).
    I followed your steps .but when trying to connect to sqlplus using command prompt i am getting following problem.

C:\Users\Asanka>sqlplus sys as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Wed Mar 10 22:42:37 2010

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:
    ERROR:
    ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

Enter user-name:

Can anybody tell me what can i do to solve this…

Asanka

19. Some student machines work and others don’t. It may be an OEM issue with Home Premium. As a rule, figure Home Premium Edition doesn’t support the networking level that’s needed. It’s designed as a client software. You should get Professional or Ultimate Edition.

You should check if the listener is running before you attempt to connect:

lsnrctl status

Then, try to ping the machine. Assuming you’ve used the standard orcl sample database, which uses a TNS alias of orcl. You should be able to use Oracle’s tnsping utility to find whether you have an open and listening port using Oracle’s TNS networking layer with this:

tnsping orcl

20. thank you for the reply

Asanka

I sucessfully installed 11g on an off-line laptop running Windows 7 Professional and was able to get the SQL*Plus running from the CMD prompt, as you demonstrated in the box at the top of your page. However, when I try to run the EM Manager (Database Control from the start menu), if keeps telling me the webpage is unavailable because I’m offline. I installed the personal edition of 11g for some developement work with .net on the laptop, and was hoping to be able to run the EM manager offline for creating some test databases to check my code against.

Any Ideas would be helpful.

jim

22. Jim,

It’s a guess based on what you’ve written. You may also want to check this earlier blog post of mine on reconfiguring Oracle EM. A couple other things that you may what I check:

• Are you using a static or dynamic IP port? If static, have you set the hostname in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to the IP address? If dynamic, have you set the hostname in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to 127.0.0.1, which is the loopback?
    • Do the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora point to a physical IP address or the hostname found in your local hosts file? If an IP address, is it your current IP address?
    • Lastly, have you checked by using the netca wizard whether you can tnsping your Oracle TNS Alias? The sample database by default installs an Oracle TNS Alias of orcl. If you did a software-only install, you should run the dbca utility to create a database of your choice.

Hope it helps but if you’ve more questions, let us know. Others are welcome to post a comment to help Jim too. :-)

23. Hi all,

which version of Oracle database will work on Windows7 64 Bit Home Edition?

Sanjeev

24. Thanks for your information on getting EM Manager to work on Windows 7 Professional. I was able to follow your steps and make everything work, with some additional work on Windows Certificates. The security on Windows 7 can be a bit overwhelming sometimes, but there are usually solutions if you work hard enough at it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim

25. If you’d like to post any of your fixes for others, please share it. I’m sure somebody else will run into it. :-)

I have got oracle 11g release 1.0.6.0 working fine on windows 7 64 bit home edition. Had to mess around with the tnsnames.ora file a bit to get a development connection.
    For enterprise manager the port name and hostname were my computer name(the name I gave my windows installation) and port 1158 but to connect with sql developer and visual studio they were different. Hostname was localhost and port was 1521.
    This is with the default database created during setup and all default settings. Not sure if this helps anyone. I’m a student just beginning to learn this stuff so don’t really know what I’m talking about.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with batch commands for starting and stopping oracle services. Now that I have it installed it tends to use a lot of resources all the time and I’m not sure what I can switch off safely when I’m not using it.

Ruairi

27. You can use the following:

NET START service_name
    NET STOP service_name

Generally, start the listener first, then database, and reverese it on shutdown. Why don’t you post the resolution that worked for you on Home Edition in the tnsnames.ora file.

28. Thanks maclochlainn.

I’ll post what I did to get a connection working. Hope it makes sense and wasn’t just a fluke. Originally I couldn’t connect at all with the first tnsnames.ora file. On my computer I went to C:/app/Ruairi(folder with my username, obviously different for other people)/product/11.1.0/db_1/NETWORK/ADMIN , here I found the tnsnames.ora I opened it with notepad and changed it to:

pluto =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = pluto)

It had a different port and hostname before. I used pluto as the alias and the database name. This is what I called the default database set up at install time. To get it working with visual studio I copied the file and the sqlnet.ora file in this folder. I then navigated to product/11.1.0/client_2/Network/Admin and I put a copy of the tnsnames.ora file as well as the sqlnet.ora file in there. clien_2 is the folder for my installation of ODP.Net 11.1.0.7.20

I read somewhere you’re supposed to put them in another folder too which in my case was C:/app/Ruairi/admin this folder contained a folder with my database name i.e. pluto. I don’t know which of these did the trick and I don’t fancy deleting them one by one and testing it out. It all works now and I’m happy. I hope someone finds this useful.
    Thanks for all the great info. Places like this are making my life a lot easier.

Ruairi

29. If you put them in a different place, they’ll be read if you launch from that directory but not another unless you set an environment variable. You can set a global system environment variable or write it in a batch file. From your information, a batch file for Windows would look like this to set a session environment variable:

SET TNS_ADMIN=C:\app\Ruairi\admin

If you’re writing .NET, you’ve probably put the location into Microsoft Developer Studio. Thanks for the update.

30. Ok, one last comment, just for those like me who need thing spelled out and those who don’t know how to batch program, I got those batch files working. The batch file to start all oracle 11g services in windows 7 that I know about. Using notepad you can just copy this:

cls
    REM The REM at the start of a line is a comment
    REM printed but otherwise
    REM ignored by the system
    REM *******************************************
    REM **Starting Oracle**
    REM *******************************************

NET START OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener
    NET START OracleServicePLUTO
    NET START OracleDBConsolepluto

REM NET START OracleMTSRecoveryService
    REM NET START OracleJobSchedulerPLUTO
    REM I'm not starting these because I don't think I set them up at install
    REM So they may cause problems. Not sure though, but you may need them

NET START OracleVssWriterPLUTO
    cls
    REM Function complete!

Pluto is my db name, obviously replace every instance of pluto with your own database name and save the file as a .bat file. I called mine startOra.bat.

To stop all oracle services(that I know about):

REM *******************************************
    REM **Stopping Oracle**
    REM *******************************************

NET STOP OracleVssWriterPLUTO
    NET STOP OracleDBConsolepluto

NET STOP OracleMTSRecoveryService
    NET STOP OracleJobSchedulerPLUTO
    REM Now I do not see the harm in stopping them just in-case, and to see what happens.

NET STOP OracleServicePLUTO
    NET STOP OracleOraDb11g_home1TNSListener
    cls
    REM Function complete!

I saved this as stopOra.bat. Now if you double click on the batch file pretty much nothing will happen. In windows 7 you must right click on the batch file and select run as administrator to allow stopping of these services. Even if you are logged in as an administrator you don’t have access. I know most people probably think this is hardly worth posting but I know I would have found it really useful a few hours ago.

I never thought to ask this earlier but how do you stop oracle services from starting automatically at startup?

Ruairi

31. How to set Oracle 11g Service to manual start instead of the default automatic start.

32. Ruairi, that wouldn’t fit nicely in a comment. I put a quick little blog entry together for you.

As to what’s worth posting, I’d venture to say a lot of people will be happy you posted it. There’s a lot more that could be done in a script, and I’ll put it in my queue for an article. Unfortunately, I probably won’t get to it until June. I’ve got to prepare two 2.5 hour presentations for the Utah Oracle User’s Group in May. If you don’t see it in June, drop me a note through the contact page.

33. That’s great. I’m not sure why, until now I was unable to find this information in an understandable form through my Google searches. I don’t envy your presentation task. Thanks so much for all your help and your unbelievably fast responses. My lecturers could learn a thing or two from you.

Ruairi

Ruairi

34. I am still trying to install 11g on a win 7 professional32 thinkpad. After doubleclick the setup.exe I get a short Dos Box for 10 milli seconds and nothing else happen. How can I install ocacle?
    I can not press pause, so I can not get the message.

randolfIrothfuss

I installed Oracle 11g 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit(Ultimate)as per your instruction. When i tried to connect jsp with oracle DB, it giving CLASS NOT FOUND exception.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

My connection to DB code is:
    Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");

Please help me in this. Many Thanks in advance

Senthil

36. You should check your %CLASSPATH% (Windows) or $CLASSPATH (Unix/Linux), it should include a reference to the ojdbc6.jar file.

37. Hi

I included a reference to ojdbc6.jar in CLASSPATH manually. still i am facing the same issue. Let me give my whole configuration details:
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Oracle 11g 32 bit
    Eclipse Galileo JEE 32 bit IDE
    Tomcat v6 server
    Please help me in this. I cant able to start my project because of this

Senthil

38. Is it failing to find the CLASSPATH for a stand-alone or EE2J component? If so, you may have a configuration problem in the middle-tier.

39. thanks for good explanation
    from korea

kim tae youb

40. hai plz any one help me
    i am unable to open the oracle after instation.
    its asking user id and password but i never gave the user id and i gave the password.
    how can i open the oracle
    plzz help me
    thanks in advance

ravendra

41. Oracle typically only configures the SYS and SYSTEM user accounts. The SYSTEM user can be accessed by the following command:

sqlplus system/password

You can find complete instructions on configuring a user-schema here.

42. Eclipse JEE IDE which i am using is failing to find the ORACLE JDBC Driver path. Even i include a reference for ojdbc6.jar in the build path of my project.

Senthil

43. Hi

I found out the reason for CLASS NOT FOUND exception. Oracle desupports oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver from Oracle 11g onwards. It was provided in the following link:

Oracle JDBC FAQ (Updated by blog)

I very much thank you for supporting me :D

Senthil

44. Thanks for this post. This has been so helpful!!!

Ramon

45. Thanks a lot, this information is really helpful.

Sujoy Ghosh

46. Hi
    I have followed the entire step as well configuring my DHCP, by install the Microsoft loop back adapter to have my IP static, and adding the values in my host file.
    Everything is great the Oracle Net Configuration Assistant Succeeded, but when it come to the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant, it does not get pass that, it stuck on the “Creating and Starting Oracle instance” and I have tried multiple time, and it always stuck at 45%.
    When I stop the process, Oracle seems to be installed but I don’t have the sample database to play with.
    I am using Window 7 Ultimate edition, but as well it’s on virtual machine, would anyone know what is going wrong why isn’t finishing the install?

Chris

47. I wish there was only one place to start but this is Windows. Here’s a couple things that I’d try to rule out:

• Are you running the Database Configuration Assistant as the sole Administrator, or an account with Administrator privileges?
    • You chose to install only the software, or is this failing while trying to create the sample orcl instance?
    • Have you checked your Windows Registry to see if you have an entry that is using the same service for the instance name?
    • Have you tried creating the instance with an ordinary script file?

Just post another comment with the answers, please. I’ll try to help you from there.

48. Hi

Well it worked; I am so happy thank you for the help maclochlainn, and excellent post by the way.

The issue was that I was running an account with Administrator privileges. I enabled my Administrator and run it from there, it was smooth and by the way it was failing at the sample orcl instance.

The only issue is my explorer is complaining about the certificate of my Enterprise Manager Database Control URL, any thoughts?

The Complaint is:

“The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
    Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server. “
    Then click to close web page or continue.

**Info for every one with windows 7 ultimate, cause it took me three days till I found this post!!

Download Micrsoft Windows Server 2008 11.1.0.7.0 as maclochlainn has stated not 11.1.0.6.0 because it won’t work even with logging in as admin, because I had 11.1.0.6.0 in the starting and didn’t work when I log in as admin.

Then I did it with version 11.1.0.7.0 and worked.

Then follow maclochainn’s post and once again do it in admin login when installing not with admin privileges.

Thanks once again maclochlainn.

Chris

49. Glad it helped. I’ve found that Oracle doesn’t keep certificates current on all releases. You just have to accept the obsolete or unregistered certificates with caution, as covered in this post on OEM.

Thank you so much for providing this useful information here, I was trying to intall Oracle 11g on windows 7 and made several attempts but it didn’t go through, using this information I am now able to finish the installation. However, Oracle Configuration Manager Configuration not installed, is there anyway I can install it later on and if I dont install how it effect the system.

Naseem

Naseem

51. Thanks foe above sugesttions. I am having 2 errors and configuration part is failing. Need kind suggestions?

Nizam Ahmed

52. Yes, but its manual and tedious. It would be better to rollback your registry and try a fresh installation.

53. Please provide the errors in a comment.

54. Hi ,
    I have sucessfully installed oracle 11g on my 64 bit machine on windows7 home Premium.I am able to connect the databse . But the issue is when i restart the machine it only shows blank screen and i need to recover my OS.

Can you help me in this? I am confused why this is happening?

hemant

55. Generally, Oracle doesn’t install on the Home version of the Windows OS. The home version is missing some networking components required by the server. I’d recommend you use Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

56. Thanks for the help.

hemant

57. Hi
    I am planning to install Oracle 11g on my Laptop with Home edition of Windows7. From the reply above, you said that it will not work with Home edition. Do you mean there is no way that I can install Oracle with out Professional or Ultimate??

Madhuraj

58. My understanding is that it won’t work. However, I’ve never tried to do it. Quite a few have reported that it doesn’t work. Maybe somebody who’s got that to work may post a work around here.

59. Hi

I have windows 7 home premium edition -64 bit. What is the procedure to install oracle 11g express edition and from where I can find files to download oracle 11g?

Kelly

60. Windows 7 Home Premium follows in the shoes of its predecessors. As such, it doesn’t have a full networking stack, like Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. Installing Oracle on a Home Premium Edition will leave you with a partial solution.

As to the Oracle 11g XE, that’s not released. Do you mean APEX 4.0 running on Oracle 10g XE? While Andy Mendelsohn said there would be an Oracle 11g XE to the NY Times in 2008, he said it would be based on the terminal release. Perhaps we’re still waiting for that … ;-) as indicated by his comments to Info World last year.

61. Thanks. Can I install oracle 10g Express Edition on Windows 7 Home Edition?

Kelly

62. Whether it’s Oracle 10g XE, 10g, or 11g, they all rely on the complete networking stack. To the best of my knowledge, it’s not delivered in any Home Edition of Windows.

63. […] não funcionar, instale a Versão 11 Referencia: Fórum […]

I have windows 7 home basic edition.I was trying to install oracle 9i.The installation was successful, but when i am trying to logging into server using pl/sql.I am getting error prompt:

TNS: could NOT resolve service_name.

But, one of my colleague install the same and his oracle is working fine with no errors.
    Please advice me something.

Deepak

65. This means it can’t find your tnsnames.ora file, can’t resolve the parameter driven path, or your listener isn’t running. You can try these steps:

1. See if it can find the file by calling the tnsping utility, you need to know the Oracle SID. If you’re working with the demonstration database, the Oracle SID should be: orcl. If you’re not sure, you can check the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\ADMIN\tnsnames.ora file. Syntax like will return the string from the tnsnames.ora file or no resolution:

C:\> tnsping orcl

If you’re missing the file, create a tnsnames.ora file. If it returns the attempted resolution from the tnsnames.ora file, then make sure that the parameters don’t use an incorrect IP address. The best solution for a laptop is to set the hostname equal to localhost and make the same change in the listener.ora file.

2. Check if your listener is running from the command line:

C:\> lsnrctl status

If it’s not running and you’ve made the hostname change from step #1, start the listener:

C:\> lsnrctl start

If you want to verify the listener running on the default port (1521) at the operating system, you can run the following command:

C:\> netstat -a | findstr /C:LISTENING | findstr /C:1521

Now, rerun the tnsping test from step #1. If it resolves, you should be good to go.

66. Hi Mr Maclochlainn,

Thanks for your kind response.
    I already tried the first step.When I execute that command I got and error message in DOS prompt:

TNS-03505: Failed TO resolve name.

I already check tnsnames.ora file. It is there and have got entries also.
    For second step I am not able to run that command. It shows an error prompt:

'lsnrctl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

Deepak

67. i have windows 7-32bit on my m/c.
    i installed oracle 11g into my m/c.
    it was successfully installed into my m/c.
    but the sql plus mode is in black screen, i.e, it is in like dos mode, & it does not turn into full screen mode, i press alt+enter, but nothing happened.
    please help me , how to get the full screen mode & how to get the white screen.

Saikat

68. The old SQL*Plus Client program no longer exists in Oracle 11g. Oracle said for years it was going away and they final dumped it.

69. That would indicate that the %ORACLE_HOME%\bin isn’t in your path. Did you create the sample database after installing the file system? If so, did it complete normally? Did you check the listener.ora file too?

You can add the Oracle path to a path statement, and try again.

70. Please help. I’m a student taking an Oracle 11g course for my degree. Oracle 11g came as CD with my textbook. During installation I lost my electricity. I had reached the password management screen of the installation process. Now I am unable to install 11g because of the previous installation. I have removed all registry and program occurrences but am stuck with a file 2784 that cannot be deleted. This file occurs 11 folders deep in the main pathway c:\app\Jeanne. What can I do?

Jeanne

71. The easy answer, is use the attrib command from the DOS prompt. This link describes the command. However, if you removed any of the registry keys incorrectly, you can encounter more curious problems. A refresh of the OS is best after a failed installation of Oracle, or restoring a copy of the registry, provided you made one.

Also, you may find my database tutorial helpful. It’s mostly done for Oracle and MySQL.

I just updated my OS to windows7 Home basic edition.I installed oracle10g and installion was successfully done.But when i am trying to connect using PL/SQL, I am getting an error prompt.

Error:
    ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

What would be the reason?
    Please guide me
    Thanks,
    Manish

Manish

73. The networking stack required is found in Microsoft Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. You can use a local connection on Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium but not a network socket through the network loop back.

You can test your network connection with the following and the sample database’s TNS alias is orcl by default.

tnsping tns_alias

I got this output after executing the following command tnsping tns_alias.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights resered

C:\>tnsping tns_alias

TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 01-SEP-2
    010 11:09:11

Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Used parameter files:
    C:\oracle\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

TNS-03505: Failed to resolve name

Manish

75. You need to replace tns_alias with orcl if you created the sample database. If you created another database, then you should use that ORACLE_SID value you choose. You can find it in the tnsnames.ora file.

76. After installing oracle 11g. The rebooting of my system is taking more time. Please suggest me how to fix the problem.

Amit

77. After the installation, the default is to start Oracle immediately. This slows booting the machine. If you want to start Oracle in the background, you should change its start status to manual. You can start Services (from run services.msc), and change Oracle from automatic to manual.

78. I just installed Oracle 11g on the Windows 7 Ultimate HP laptop (need it for a class I’m taking). Now whenever I turn on my computer, it takes nearly 5-6 minutes to load up. Normally, it only takes 1-2 minutes since I just cleaned it up by installing windows 7 and a new hard drive a few months back. Also, now the computer works really slow in general; I can barely get documents to open up.

Does anyone know how I could fix this?? Is Oracle using up too many resources or something? I followed the instructions on this site and everything went well until I turned my computer back on the next day. Any help is really appreciated!

Computer Specs:
    HP dv6500 (made in 2007)
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    2GM RAM
    500GB HD
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00ghz

David

79. Oracle starts as a service at the same time as all other services by default. It often causes a CPU load that slows the boot cycle. You should go to Windows Services (services.msc) and change it to manual. Then, when you want to work on Oracle simply go to Windows Services and start it. Alternatively, you can simply run this from a command session provided you leave the Oracle Listener as automatic:

sqlplus / as sysdba

In SQL, run the following command:

startup

80. hi all,

plz let ,me know which version of oracle express edition should be installed on wiindows 7 ultimate 32 bit

saman

81. maclochlainn

82. hi all

I had a problem I installed pracle 11g Release2 on my windows 7 professional 64 bit laptop the installation was successful(it failed the prerequisite checks though) How ever whenever I log in to my windows 7 account I get a Black Screen of death the kind in which only the mouse cursor moves and nothing can be seen.I tried to stop the startup oracle services and bingo the problem was gone.However stopping the oracle startup services doesn’t allow me to use the database at all neither from the SQL prompt and neither from the Enterprise Manager page.
    Can anyone suggest any proper solution?

My system’s specs are:

Dell Studio XPS 1645
    Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    500 GB HD
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    1 GB ATI RADEON 5670 DDR3 Graphics card

sinhanurag

83. Have you tried setting the service to manual, booting the OS, and then starting the service?

84. there are several services related to oracle which shall I set to manual or shall i set all to manual?

sinhanurag

I have installed oracle 11g on window 7 32 bit enterprise OS.

Oracle EM is working fine.

I need to access the xmldb repository.

So,I am mapping the network location by entering the
    url http://localhost:8080/ and i see the error “The folder entered does not appeared to be valid. Please choose another”

Do u have any suggestions ?

MK

I have installed Oracle 11g and my OS is Windows 7 Home Basic. Oracle is successfully installed even the tnsnames.ora file is also created successfully.When I run the test with my database user it is successful also.

But when I am trying to connect the database with sqlplus, I m not getting option for database.There is no database connectivity even the service name is already there in tnsnames.ora.

Please advice me on this

Deepak

87. Deepak, You need to upgrade the Window 7 to Professional or Ultimate because the Home editions don’t support the level or networking required for the listener process.

88. Ok thanks,

You mean that for windows 7 home basic edition, sqlplus/bentic etc will have no connectivity with oracle?

Anyways thanks a lot for your help, I will update my windows 7 to Professional.

Deepak

89. My System specifications are:
    Dell Inspiron 15R
    Intel Core i3 2.76 GHz
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    320 GB HD
    Windows 7 64 bit home premium

Does Oracle 11g works on Windows 7 64 bit home premium, if I install it? .

Please help me on this

Gopikrishna

90. You’ll need Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate Edition. The Windows 7 Home and Home Premium don’t support the necessary network stack. They’re designed as clients, whereas the Professional and Ultimate are workstations, and can act in the role of a small server. Oracle is designed to run on Workstations or Servers.

Hope this helps.

91. hi, there i have installed oracle 11g software as per the instructions that u specified but when ever i go to prompt nd type the username and password it shows invalid username/password so what should i do? do i have to reinstall again or is their some way of knowing my username and password..plz reply thank u

abraham

92. If you installed it as the administrator, you should be able to connect with the password you chose for the SYSTEM user. Have you tried connecting to that account?

sqlplus system/password

93. Is it possible to install Oracle 11g R2 in Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit?

If yes,how? Please post if there is any way …

debabrata

94. My understanding is that you’ll need Windows 7 Business or Ultimate.

95. Thanks for the great post. I hope oracle supports learns how to make installations user friendly.

samita

96. How to connect the sql developer with the Oracle 11g databse ?

Gaurav

97. I have a problem in running oracle 11g, could you tell me how to do that?

vijay

98. It depends on what you need?

99. hi all,

my system running windows7 64 bit OS.

i download oracle 11g database from oracle.com . it contains 2 files having win64_11gR2_database_1of2 & win64_11gR2_database_2of2.
    when i installed it shows prerequisite checks error on whether the system has at least 922 MB physical memory.

please help me to shutout this problem.

reg
    basu

basu

100. Thanks Maclochlainns – it was very helpful.

After unsuccessfully trying different version of Oracle 11g (r1,r2,64bit etc), finally I picked your version of 11g (11.1.0.7), which is by the way for 64bit Windows2008 Server. And to my surprise, it successfully installed on my Windows 7 (64bit) laptop. I followed your screen-shot step by step and saved tons of my headache.

Thanks again !!

BD

101. To Basu – pls don’t try those install files..didn’t work for me. Download the exact version that Machlochlainns said in his origical post and that version is 11.1.0.7 – see my previous post.

BD

102. hello,
    your post has really helped me, though i have a small query, after making my ip static and completing step 3 my screen showed step 5, ie i did not get any Windows System Alert asking me to unblock the installer’s javaw.exe… so will i be facing any kind of problem?

plz reply.

parinita kankaria

103. Likely not.

104. hi,

i have trouble with my oracle, after installation finish. there are service i can’t to start, the TNSlistener service. i try to start but a few minutes later service stop. can you tell me what should i do ?

superHero

105. Did the installation complete normally? What details were presented during the installation? Which services are reported as installed for Oracle?

106. I have a new hp laptop with windows 7 home premiun what version of oracle can i install on it? please i need your help.

Amaka

107. As commented above, you need Windows Professional or Ultimate. They’re workstation versions of the OS, which is required for Oracle network stack.

108. I have Windows 7 (64-bit) running on my laptop. In order to use TOAD, I need to install Oracle client. Could you please suggest from where can I download the Oracle Client? Searched on Oracle’s Download page but there doesn’t seem to be any client for Windows 7.

I have already downloaded the following but nothing seems to work on my OS –
    1) 10204_vista_w2k8_x64_production_client
    2) 102010_win64_x64_client
    3) instantclient-basic-windows.x64-11.2.0.2.0

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Leo

Leo

109. Oracle client is now called Instant Client and you can download it here.

110. hiii
    i am following all the steps correctly and everythings fine till the instance configuration.
    After the net config which goes flawless there is some error in copying files and starting server instance…
    Pls guide

himanshu

111. Great work dude…it realy helped well…thanks a lot for such detailed help :)

tanmay

112. hi i installed oracle 11g in windows 7 but i cannot able to use the notepad

rammohan

113. Can you elaborate on what the problem?

114. i keep getting a box that comes up and says error in execution of additional utility tool. any thoughts?
    has the option to retry, continue, and cancel.

rsevere

115. Thank u so much for helping me to clear my biggset doubt. I was searching for hours on the net for compatible OS for 11g. once again thanks.

Harees Salih

116. I have installed oracle 11g 2 on Windows Home Premium. It is working properly. During the last part of the installation the Oracle the Configuration Manager configuration was not successful. I successfully logged in to the site through SYSTEM and SYS user accounts. I want to know if like earlier versions, such as Oracle 9i, where the SQL*Plus editor is available or not.

Whether we have write the query only in command prompt.

radha

117. The Oracle Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA) failed because it tries to run in the networking stack, which isn’t supported in Window Home edition. I suspect that you connected through the IPC connection without a TNS Alias.

As to the question, I believe you’re asking about the Windows GUI SQL*Plus executable. If so, that was deprecated in Oracle 11g and only available at the command-line. Oracle appears to believe that SQL*Developer is a better solution, and I’d concur with that.

118. hola me gustaria saber si se puede instalar la base de datos oracle 11g en un hp con windows 7 home premium 64 bits….. y si se puede entonces por favor explicarme como se hace?

gracias por su colboracion.

elkin

119. Non puede usar Windows 7 Home Edition. Puede usar Windows 7 Premium o Ultimate.

120. Thanks a bunch.

Very great way to overcome the OS and system requirement check.

Thanks again.

Aj.

Aj

121. I was trying to install Oracle 11g in my machine which is window 7-64 bit but later then it came to an error message box “error in execution of additional utility tool ” in which gave me an option of help, retry, continue and cancel…so any help please i do not know what should i choose and resolve the problem

vin

122. Unfortunately, those options mean you fix the problem and retry it, or you cancel the installation. If you opt for continue, generally the Oracle installation won’t work.

123. Hi sir,
    Thank you. I have successfully installed oracle 11g on my machine with windows 7 as per ur instructions. My question is how and what editor is defined for SQL in windows 7. Actually i am a student taking OCA coaching classes. And at our institute we run SQL plus on Linux and the editor of Linux is Vi. So i would like to know about the editor we can use for editing SQL and PL/SQL queries. Thanking you…

Neeraj

124. SQL*Developer is free and a very nice Java-based editor. Quest’s Toad is unequivocally the best but pricey.

125. Hi
    thanks, I want install “oracle configuration manager configuration”.How?

nazar

126. Nazar, I’m finishing up a new book and can’t take time to give you a complete answer for a couple weeks. I’ll do it then, but could you let me know the OS that you’re interested in?

I have installed Oracle 11g R2 on my laptop.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.

After a reboot my TNSNames service has disappeared from my services list.

This is the second time that this has happened to me. Last time I just uninstalled and reinstalled the oracle instance.

I came across a post on the oracle forums WRT this issue

however the resolution is not specified to the level of detail that I require.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ross

128. Just to follow up on the Oracle TNS Listener service disappearing.

This was due to an incorrect listener config in the tnsnames.ora file.

Configuration of a listener as below has resolved the issue.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
      (SID_LIST =
        (SID_DESC =
          (GLOBAL_DBNAME = local11g)
          (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1)
          (SID_NAME = local11g)

Ross

129. hi
    i have the problem in accessing the sql plus on my window 7 64 bit ultimate edition .

whenever i opened the sql plus it asks for the username and password . but when i entered the username and hit the enter it asks for the password but when i try to enter the password it doesnt show me the passwrd is entered or not either cursor doesnt move from its place . when i hit enter then is show me the error .

ORA-1017 : INVALID USERNAME/ PASSWORD ;LOGON DENIED

IN ONE LINE

MY PROBLEM IS I AM FAIL TO ENTER THE PASSWORD IN SQL PLUS

vikas malik

130. Assuming you’re trying to gain access to a schema student with a password student you can attempt this login:

C:\> sqlplus student/student

Could i install oracle 11g on windows 7 home premium 64 bits? If I couldn’t, what version of oracle should i install?

Lu

132. sir, I am using Oracle 10gXEUniv on windows 7. Its port address is 8080 and same port address was taken by Netbeand web application too.I am using Net beans with glss fish server. I need to change the port address of any of this. Could you kindly help on this issue. It is very great help me to continue my studies. Hope you are reply me.

Thushan

Thushan

133. Windows 7 Home Premium doesn’t have a full network stack, you should use Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

134. You can query or set the HTTP port connected as the SYSTEM uses by:

SQL> SELECT dbms_xdb.gethttpport FROM dual;

You can reset it by using this:

SQL> EXECUTE dbms_xdb.sethttpport(8181);

Hope this helps you.

135. I need to know if I can setup developer 10 g on windows 7?
    note:- I installed oracle sql 11g

Abo 3a2esha

136. hi,
    I have installed oracle 11gR2 on window 7 professional with default SID orcl with administrative privilage, but I am unable create another data base, it says access is denied.
    Please help me what should I do to resolve it .
    Deba

deba

137. Deba,

I assume you’re starting dbca and it’s failing with that message. Is that correct? If so, try disabling your User Access Controls. You may also right click the Database Configuration Assistant and run it as the System Administrator, which includes super user operating system privileges.

138. HI Maclochlainn,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    yes ur assumption was right i was ruuning thru dcba ,I run thru DatabaseConfiguration Assintant as System Admin.. then it work fine but after 85% it shows warning msg: Enterprise manager configuration failed due to LISTNER is not up or database service isnot registered with it.Start the listner & register database service & run EM configuration assistnt Again.Refer to log file D:\oracle\cfgtoollog\dbca\HC91\emconfig.log
    For more details u can retry configuration this database with enterprise manager later by manually running D:oracle\product\11.2.0.1\bin\emca.scripts

So what shud I do now..
    Thanks n regards
    deba

deba

139. Was your Oracle listener running? Is it configured properly to get to your new database? Did you run netca before you ran dbca?

140. Do you mean SQL Developer, SQL Developer with Modeler, or something else?

141. Hi Maclochlainn,
    Thank U for your reply.
    So I think it was problem due to listener, it was running only for ORCL, as i created a new sid, so it (listener) should restart, am I right? I am working with SQL developer.

Thanks n regards,
    Deba.

deba

142. i have installed oracle 11g express edition, but while installing installer did not ask for any details , it was a plain installation. its installed successfully.
    Now i am using oracle sql developer to connect with database, but its asking for below details:

connection name:
    username:
    password:

i did not configure these details so can someone suggest me how to get these details..

Aksh

143. Use “system” and the password you entered during installation.

144. i want to start sql developer but when i start it, a dialog window says that enter the full pathname for java.exe
    what it means?
    where is the location of this java?
    is there any another software i have to install to run sql developer..
    plz help me as soon as possible because i want to use this edition…….
    thanks

inder

145. also when i am using sql plus the command window is appearing black as in ms dos or like command prompt…
    why is it happening???????
    i am really very nervous from the last ten days, as i am unable to use this version 11g of oracle…

inder

146. i have windows 7 home premium edition 32-bit…..

inder

147. The Java runtime engine installs a copy of the java.exe file in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. The C:\Windows\System32 directory should be in your system’s %PATH%. You can add the Java runtime by downloading it here.

148. If you click on the upper left hand corner of the command window, you can choose properties, and set the color of text and background. The default in Windows is white text on black background.

149. You’ll need to install Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate edition because they have the full networking stack.

150. but which java i have to download???
    there are many java applications here…..
    which one is suitable for my system???
    i have windows 7 home premium 32-bit system…
    which will work in my computer?????

inder

151. My bad, you need Java 6 JRE. Java 7 isn’t officially supported last time I checked. Gary Graham from the SQL Development team provides a work around for Java 7 testing in this forum discussion. If the database is else where, SQL Developer should work on Windows Home Edition.

152. ok thanks for your help…
    i will try and if will work then its ok, otherwise will have to bother you again…
    i am sorry for that, but i want your help in future, because i am an indian, and none of my friends here able to help me…

inder

153. there are so many files of java here……
    please provide me the link of java that is compatible with my system, because i do not know any so much about java…
    please provide me the link sir…
    i will be highly thankful to you……

inder

154. maclochlainn

155. but sir i have already installed sql developer already….
    i only want java, so why i have to install sql developer with java installed???????

inder

156. I tested adding the JRE reference after the installation and found that there are some disconnects, and a simple task like adding a new connection with TNS can’t find the list of entries. I don’t have time to provide step-by-step instructions at the moment, and thought you’d like the quickest way to get up and running. I’m not sure what SQL Developer configuration steps aren’t completed during the install at present.

157. thanks sir, but i have installed jdk 6 and my sql developer work properly now………
    thank you…..

inder

158. Thanks for details

Syed Irfan Ullah

159. Hi
    I insalled oracle 11 on win7 ultimate x64bit
    when i restart the windows and run it again ,
    every thing been very slow ,i can not do anything,
    even wifi not working
    could you please help me how can i control it or solve this issue
    RAM:6GB
    INTERL CORE i7

Please help

Hashem Majid

160. You can go into your services and see what’s running for the database and shutdown those services if you don’t need them. Another alternative would be to install Oracle VM VirtualBox and put the database in a virtual machine. Other than that, I’d need more information to help you with a specific problem. Like how much CPU and RAM are consumed what processes are consuming the most CPU, and so forth.

161. hi I have installed oracle 11g on my laptop with windows 7 32-bit ultimate.when i am trying to connect java program to oracle database it was showing an error as ” No suitable driver found for jdbc:oracle:thin:@home-PC:1521:oracle” please give me solution thanku

sandeep

162. Check your CLASSPATH to see if ojdbc6.jar is in it. If not add it.

163. hi sir..
    i installed windows again as my laptop’s speed have got slower..
    but now when i am installing the oracle, it is saying that error in the execution of utility tools, and i am unable to install oracle on my laptop..
    before this problem its working fine, but after the installation of windows it occurs again and again..
    i have tried to reinstall windows 5 times, but the problem is still continued..
    plz help me sir..
    before this my oracle works and installed as with your help..

inder

164. You’re asking how to optimize the Windows installation? If that’s it, the best scenario on a laptop is to use the recovery software provided by the manufacturer. If you’re using a generic and licensed copy of Windows from Microsoft, it generally doesn’t have the specific drivers that are required. You’ll have to download them from the manufacturer’s site (typically before you do the installation). I recommend burning them to DVD or putting them on a USB drive.

Your problem sounds as if you need to install the recovery software and then upgrade from that point. Hope this helps.

165. Oracle 11g is decreasing startup speed of my 64 bit windows 7 home basis system … Pls guide me to improve my startup speed…….

Rohit Shirsat

166. Rohit, There’s a lot of competition for resources at startup and generally you don’t need the database running until you want to use it. It’s recommended that you configure that in your Windows’ services. Easiest way is to run services.msc and set the Oracle service to manual, which means you have to open services to start it.

167. Sorry Sir, But I Dont Understand wht u exactly want to tell me……..

Rohit Shirsat

168. You can disable Oracle from starting at boot in your Windows Services dialog. That means your laptop will boot faster.

You can then start Oracle manually when you need it.

169. Thx alot sir…
    Its Working………

Rohit Shirsat

170. Hello.
    Can You help me in such a problem
    oracle 11g xp client connects fine
    oracle 11g win7 pro client connects fine
    but some new clients (new pc’s with win7)
    oracle 11g win7 pro client have timeout about 1 minute when connects to database. i’ve check network settings, firewals – all settings the same as on other pc’s.
    thanks in advance

hash

171. This is why I hate, HATE! Oracle… SQL Server never has any problems like this 0, none nada…

Just install… Every time I have to install Oracle uhg the pain…

Time is money and I’ve seen people spend days upon days just getting this dumb client working.

Jimmyj

172. Well, I wouldn’t say that Microsoft is innocent of this behavior. Just look at what they did when Microsoft released SQL Server 2008 Express

173. I’ve installed oracle 11g as per your instruction on my windows 7 operating system. But whenever the SQL PLUS command box is opened, a username is also requered with the passward. But at the time of installation I’ve just submitted one passward because no username was requered at that time.Can you please fix this problem? Or please tell me what username I can use.(though I typed a username & the passward which I used before at time of installation, but it didn’t work.)

arunava

174. The default password entered when you installed the Oracle database is SYSTEM. Once you connect, you’ll want to create a new user. You can do that with the following command:

CREATE USER student IDENTIFIED BY student DEFAULT TABLESPACE users QUOTA 50 M ON users TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp;

You can then grant privileges that you want the user to have:

GRANT CREATE cluster, CREATE indextype, CREATE operator, CREATE PROCEDURE, CREATE SEQUENCE, CREATE SESSION, CREATE TABLE, CREATE TRIGGER, CREATE SESSION, CREATE VIEW TO student;

Hope that helps. :-) You can find more on these basics in my new book: Oracle Database 11g & MySQL 5.6 Developer Handbook.

175. hi sir….
    i install oracle 11g in windows 7 ultimate but i have some error oracle database. open the sqlplus didn’t open i type the username ana password but this password not correct TNS:protocol adapter error will be shown.. i am install for advance installation process.

shakthivelan

176. Actually, that error typically means the listener isn’t started or that the database isn’t started. You can check whether they’re running by launching the Services Dialog box by typing services.msc in the Start -> Run dialog.

177. I installed Oracle 11g rel2 on Windows 7. Warebouse Builder does not work. How Can I configure warehouse builder?

arif

178. HI
    I am new to Oracle.
    Could you please tell me what to download from Oracle site? since I downloaded win64_11gR2_database but when i try to install i don’t get the first screen where you provide system user info.

Ashish

179. thank u…..

ravi

180. I installed in the same procedure but i cant do SQL queries in it…..

Hanumanth

181. I think there’s a question here, but I’m not sure what you need. Can you elaborate?

182. […] Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7 […]

183. Hey Sir,

i try to install 11g db in windows 7 ultimate but i cant i try ed a lot but i cant plz help me or suggest me how to install..

Srinidhi

184. Did you look at the pre-installation steps. Have you performed those steps? Are you installing Oracle 11gR1 or Oracle 11gR2?

I tried to install Oracle 11gR2 with the help of win64_11gR2_database_1of2 and win64_11gR2_database_2of2
    after extracting mentioned file when i run setup screen they disappear after configure and create database, I am running on window 7 64 bit laptop? Could you please help out?

Thanks in advance
    Jagdish

Jagdish

186. If it fails at the cloning and configuration stage of the demo database, it’s typically a configuration issue related to the configuration of the C:\Winodws\System32\driver\etc\hosts file. Can you post the contents of the following files from the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin?

listener.ora
    sqlnet.ora
    tnsnames.ora

Other issues that can cause problems at this phase occur over file ownership privileges or a pre-existing Oracle service in the registry. That lead to two questions: (1) Is this the first installation attempt or a subsequent attempt; and (2) Did you disable Microsoft UAC before attempting the installation?

187. Thanks for your input. Even Oracle 10.2.0.3 worked fine in windows7.

Pravin

188. I’m trying to install Oracle 11 R2 32 bit on a station with windows 7 64 bit, when he arrives on screen check prerequisites a failure message in the Physical Memory, Architecture, Environment Variable: “PATCH”.

What should I do to solve?

George

189. hi i installed oracle 11g on my system with windowa 7 64 bit professional version.i m unable to run sql plus. it is promting for username and password. i tried with the default ones but says the system is locked. help me ou please

srikanth

190. Hello Sir,

I installed Oracle 11g (11.2.0) on Win7 (64bit) but after the installation finished the oracle_home in the registry, (hkey_local_machine software) is nowhere to be found.
    Any idea re this situation?
    Many thanks.

steve

191. Sorted !! :) In Win7, the Oracle is no longer under HKLM|Software|Oracle, but it has been moved to HKLM|Software|Wow6432Node|Oracle

steve

192. installation de l’oracle 11g sur windows7

Garry Basquin

193. Thanx I have installed oracle 11g successfully
    Amar Jadhav

Amar Jadhav

194. Hi

I have windows 7 ultimate -32 bit. What is the procedure to install oracle 11g express edition and from where I can find files to download oracle 11g?

Paritosh

195. Instructions are here. You can download the software here.

196. Michael,

Do you know what it takes to install/setup an ASM instance on Win7? I’ve set up Oracle 11g DB single instance on Win7, but wondered if you (or others) might have any guidance on setting up an ASM instance on Win7 (Ultimate). Thanks for all the great work you’re doing!

Paul

197. thanks for the post mate…. :)

ravi

198. […] 2009, Oracle 11g on Windows 7, viewed 8 May 2012, <http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2009/11/27/oracle-11g-on-windows-7/&gt; Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was […]

199. Hello there,

Many thanks for your efforts and explanations. I’m a fresh user of Oracle 11G and I’m still facing an issue with passing through the installation.

I have changed the host name as you advised “Adi” , yet after rebooting the machine “runs on win 7professional edition 64 bit” but again I get the very same message that this version isn’t compatible with windows 7 professional edition.

Would be grateful if you could give me an advice how to get through this.

Many thanks,
    E.

Emad

200. Hi I am facing an problem when i want to install oracle database 11g on my laptop when i click on the setup icon i can see the command promt window which coming and disappearing and no further steps can any one help

srinath

201. Srinath, What Windows OS? Is it Windows Home? If so, you need to upgrade because that version doesn’t support the required networking facilities required by an Oracle installation.

202. hello i have a dell laptop with windows7home basic
    i had installed oracle 11g from that day onwards my system is starting very late it is taking 5 mints can u tell whats pblm

raja

203. The Oracle Service starts during your boot sequence. It can overwhelm some machines for a few minutes.

You can launch from the run command services.msc and set the Oracle services to manual. After your machine completes the boot sequence, you can start Oracle and it actually establishes the shared memory segment much faster. Hopes this is what you’re looking for as an answer.

204. I have downloaded windows 7 11g R2 32 bit but facing problems to install it. Can any1 help me in installing it?

Vijit

205. I am new to this. Can I get step by step procedure. I checked above comments but its not helping me.

Whenever I am starting installation it is asking me to enter proxy server details.

Proxy Server:
    Proxy Port:
    Proxy Username:
    Proxy Password:

Need Help.

Vijit

206. Hi, I installed oracle 11g R2 successfully but in sqlplus its not taking my username & password.

Could u plz help me out.

Vijit

207. There’s a link in this blog post that takes you to another for Oracle 11gR2 but you can click on this to go there too.

208. Are you installing this at work? Is so, they asking you for direction to your company’s proxy server. At least, that’s my best guess with what you’ve provided.

209. You should be able to connect as the user that installed the database with the following syntax:

sqlplus / AS sysdba

Then, you can change the SYSTEM password with this command:

ALTER USER system IDENTIFIED BY password;

You can unlock the account with the following syntax:

ALTER USER scott ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

Hope this helps you.

210. sir i am working with oracle 11g R1 with jdk 1.6 and my os is win-7 ultimate.when i try to connect database with jdk1.6 i got error as “java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver”..i have already include ojdbc6.jar in my ‘Path’..but still it gives same exception..plz help me to get out of it.

Bhupesh

211. That’s a Java error that says it can’t find the class. You need the ojdbc.jar in your %CLASSPATH% not your %PATH% environment variable. I’ve posted this tutorial that works in my Database 1 class for you.

212. […] a question raised on how to configure the %CLASSPATH% […]

213. Sir,can u plz tell me the basic steps to connect oracle 11g with java Eclipse…as i am new to eclipse.

Bhupesh

214. Hi Sir,

Unfortunately I forgot my username/password combination to connect via sqlplus. Is there any way either to find it out or atleast to create a new user.

Thanks in advance.

Vijit

215. Look at an earlier answer in the comment for 7/29/2012. If this is on your laptop or desktop and you installed it, you should be able to reset the user’s password as noted above. If you don’t recall the user’s name, connect as / AS SYSDBA and run this query:

SELECT username FROM dba_users;

216. hello sir
    i can’t login to sql*plus. i can enter my username but i can’t able to enter my password.
    the error ora 101017 error came up???
    as this question has arsed further also but as you given the solution is not working for me sir . . as sqlplus student/student . . .while i’m giving that cmd i get the same error again.
    sir im using orcale 11g 11.1.0.6.0 version in windows 7 ultimate 32 bit . . ..plz provide me solution how to overcome this problem.

Naveen

217. Naveen,

I editor your comments to what it appears you’ve got. The STUDENT user is one that I create after installing the database. Initially, you have only the SYS and SYSTEM user and the password is the one you used during the installation.

Try this:

sqlplus system@orcl

It should prompt you for a password and that’s the password you entered during the install. Hope this helps.

218. How does one cleanup an old instance of oracle. I tried to uninstall the existing instance using the Oracle Installer. It cleaned up everything except the old home. What a mess. It left a bunch of old services on my Windows 7 machine.

I next tried to uninstall the old home by checking “remove empty home” in my new instance folder. It says it removed it, but apparently it did not. I still see the old home under “All Programs” and all the old services still remained undeleted.

Is there a script to cleanup an old instance, given the instance name. I would have expected Oracle to be a little more sophisticated with its uninstall process. Help gratefully appreciated!

DP

219. Generally, you have to delete all the services manually, clean up the registry, and remove the file system elements.

220. I just want to say thank you maclochlainn, without someone like you i don’t know where I would be. I work for a small oracle database consulting company and this was an absolute life saver ..Thanks again buddy much love.

Lawrence Malloy

221. hi
    i have innstalled oracle 11g (11.20.10) on windows 7 64bit. after complet instalation following warning appear in window:
    1)Set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to oracle
    2)F:\dbloraclelproduc”11.2.o\dbhome_1Ibinlemctl.bat stop dbconsole
    3)F:\dbloraclelproduc”11.2.o\dbhome_1Ibinlemctl.bat config emkey-repos -sysman_pwd
    4) F:ldbloraclelproduc”11.2.o\dbhome_1Ibinlemctl.bat secure dbconsole -sysman_pwd
    5) F:\dbloraclelproduc”11.2.o\dbhome_1Ibinlemctl.bat start dbconsole

now how can i resolve these warning?

hamed

222. Let’s hope it means that you didn’t start the OEM install. Anyway, you can check with the information in this post.

223. hello sir,,i have OS windows 7 32 bit in my lap,but i cant complete my installation..it shows that it expects 5.0,6.0 from my lap,but it was 6.1

ansar

224. You can ignore that error because the installer doesn’t check for Windows 7.

225. how to open editor file in oracle11g,am using windows 7 ultimate oparating system .if you any body knows reply ……… meee

seenu

226. Do you mean opening an editor from the ed command in SQL*Plus? You can check this blog post if that’s your intent.

227. i cant open edit buffer file in 11g express edition…
    now what i can do?

Rinkal

228. Are you asking about the afiedt.buf file?

229. please,i have problem after 2nd step appear connection faild dialog and ask me enter proxy server,proxy number,proxy username and proxy password i did static IP then restart what should i do?

f

230. Unless you’re running inside a corporate firewall, you can ignore setting up the proxy settings.

I am unable to install Oracle 11g r2 database on Windows 7 64 bit.

First time, I have installed it properly. But for some reason, I have uninstalled it and then I try install it again I am facing the issue, Installer windows is closing after selection upon Setup Class option. Any help would really appreciates..

Thanks,
    Nag

Nag

232. Nag, It may be some residual keys in the Microsoft Registry. A fresh install of the OS should fix it, unless you want to manually clean the Registry.

233. As an Oracle newbie. This post was a lifesaver.

Abe

234. thank u

meghraj

I have installed Oracle 11g R2 on my laptop.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.It successfully installed and runed.but my editor is not working.Error is comming ie-RE: sp2-0110 Cannot create save file “afiedt.buf” – help please me.how to create save file afiedt.buf in sql plus in window 7.

PUSPITA

236. Puspita, You must be in a directory that you own when entering SQL*Plus or be the Administrator account. Generally, I simply disable UAC before installing and leave it disabled.

237. hi

Ganesh

238. i have problem about oracle software install to windows 7 64 bit. when I start installation oracle 11g release 2 in windows 7 in my laptop. after selection my laptop the show the system class option, after that not go forward for install. what should i do, please help me.

familusi sunday

239. Familusi (?), What version of Windows do you have (Home, Professional, Ultimate)?

240. Hi Sir,

May I know what the problem for installing Oracle 11g on Windows 8?

Because when I tried to install, I got an error message : protocol adaptor error.

So I can’t you my Oracle enterprise Manager.

Please Help me. Thanks alot

Fabrice

241. Hi. Im getting a problem extracting the zip file to my laptop. I try the extract using WinRAR and i get the error ! C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\OracleXE112_Win32.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged. I try to extract to the C:/ and i get the same error. Any help?

dan

242. hello im trying to install Oracle express 11G release on my windows 7 laptop. Its build version 6.1. I cant extract the files to my hard drive. I get the following error message. Im using WinRAR. ! C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\rebuilt.OracleXE112_Win32.zip: Checksum error in DISK1\setup.exe. The file is corrupt
    ! Cannot execute “C:\Users\Daniel\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EXa0.269\DISK1\setup.exe”

Any help with this.

dan

243. Dan, Did you extract both disks into the same directory?

244. Yes. I was installing to downloads directory.

dan

245. also just to let you know im installing on an Windows 7 laptop x32 bit. My laptop has 3gb of memory. I know i should have more but im gonna build my own tower later. Just checking if i can install it on my laptop.

dan

246. Dan, OK, but did you attempt to install Oracle 64-bit on a 32-bit OS? Oracle 12c only releases in 64-bit, that’s why I’m asking the question. If you’re installing Oracle 11g 32-bit, where did it fail? You can check the log files for that information.

247. Dan, Which version of the database are you using?

248. Im sorry Maclochlainn i haven’t checked your post. Im sorry im not sure how i can check that information and what you need me to check.

dan

249. Dan, That original question didn’t come through as typed on my iPhone. I’ve revised it. Can you post the answers?

250. ok. Yes im installing Oracle 11g for 32 bit OS. Its for Windows 7 pro.

dan

251. the version im using is oracle 11g 32bit.

dan

252. Dan, Where do the log files say you’re failing?

253. ! C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads\OracleXE112_Win32.zip: Unexpected end of archive

This is the message i get when i try to extract the file to my laptop.

dan

254. Two hopefully quick questions. We are packaging various versions of the oracle client for our customer. Using batch files to call rsp files and run setup. These are to be deployed via CM2012 for windows clients

Question one
    Customer wants to be able to, using his words, set a permanent global environment variable pointing to %TNS_ADMIN% which they house on a network share. Can this be done and I would prefer to do it in the batch.

Question two deinstall.bat uninstalls oracle client. Again the uninstall would be CM2012 and we would prefer it is silent. At the end of the install oracle asks about removing .NET components and requires user to click “y” or “n”. Is there a way around this to make it completely silent.

Ric Nagy

255. im having problems with my oracle 11g release 2. i tried setting up asm instance.after the set up, i login to SQL and it gives error: no parameter set for ASM instance. pls can anyone help with this problem?

ola

256. Ric,

You should be able to use the -silent parameter, as described in the Oracle Database 11g Client Installation Guide manual’s Appendix B. This is probably what you’re looking for:

Silent mode: Oracle Universal Installer does not display any screens. Instead it displays progress information in the command window where you started it. To use silent mode, you run setup.exe with the -silent parameter and include a response file, which contains responses to the Oracle Universal Installer prompts.

Hope that’s what you’re looking for …

257. That addresses the silent uninstall which after more research I finished up that solution. Question one remains which is setting up the permanent environment variable via the batch during install for TNS_ADMIN so that every user that logins to that machine is pointed to their network resource for the TNS names file.

Ric Nagy

258. Ric,

Assuming you’re using PowerShell, you should be able to set the environment variable like the examples here (Microsoft TechNet document on environment variables).