Reset 11g XE APEX Password

I’ve been busy working on other things since APEX 4 shipped. After I got through the installations of Oracle Database 11g XE (see prior posts), figuring out the default user name and password for APEX Administration became a tedious task. The documentation didn’t really help point to what was needed but it’s always in the code.

You reset the APEX Administration Account for Oracle Database 11g XE by doing the following steps:

1. Open a command shell and change the directory to the %ORACLE_HOME%\apex directory (the default Oracle Home is c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server). Then, connect as the SYSTEM user to the SQL*Plus utility, and run the following command that sets the temporary password to “admin“. You’ll reset the password when you connect through the web interface.
@apxxepwd admin

1. Open APEX Administration by navigating to the http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin, and you’ll see the following APEX Administration Login screen. Enter admin as the user name and admin as the password and click the Login button.

1. You’ll be prompted to reset the password in the following Change Password screen. Enter admin as the old password and a new password that complies with the following rules, and click the Apply Changes button.
  • Password must contain at least 6 characters.
  • New password must differ from old password by at least 2 characters.
  • Password must contain at least one numeric character (0123456789).
  • Password must contain at least one punctuation character (!”#$%&()“*+,-/:;<=>?_).
  • Password must contain at least one upper-case alphabetic character.
  • Password must not contain username.

1. After configuring the APEX Administration account, click on the Manage Workspaces icon (or button), as shown below. If re-opening the browser to go straight here, just type the following URL http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin.

1. The upper left box contains what you need to create a workspace. Click on the Create Workspace option as shown below.

1. The choice to add a workspace launched a provisioning workflow. You first Identify Workspace.

The dialog box for this first provisioning step is (and the other highlighted workflow tracking lists aren’t shown):

1. The dialog box for this second provisioning step is:

1. The dialog box for this third provisioning step is:

1. The dialog box for this fourth provisioning step cpmfirms what you’re doing before you perform the task:

1. The dialog box for this fifth provisioning step confirms success or reports failure:

1. After you’ve provisioned a workspace, you can create objects like you did with APEX 3. Enter the following URL: http://localhost:8080/apex and you’ll be brought to this login screen.

1. After logging in to your Basic workspace, you’ll have these four principal widgets, as shown in the screen capture.

Maybe I went through the 2-Day APEX manual too quickly but I didn’t see how to do this, all I saw was how to use the HR sample schema. As always, I hope this helps others.

September 14th, 2011 at 1:44 am

22 Responses to 'Reset 11g XE APEX Password'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Reset 11g XE APEX Password'.

1. Thanks for the post on installing Oracle XE.

I installed Oracle 11g XE but now I have a problem. I need to use sql*plus and I want to create a new user to do this. I thought I needed to create a workspace with a new user but now I cannot connect to that new workspace from sql*plus.

Any input on how I can connect to the workspace from sql&plus or how I can create a user in the default workspace?

Pericles

2. Just connect as system and add the user. Can you connect as system user?

3. Thanks for the posting. I had installed 11g Express and then selected the APEX option from the home page and created a new APEX user. When I came back to it about 3 weeks later, I couldn’t remember the workspace.

I was searching for a watch to identify workspaces that had been created using SQL Developer and came across your posting. It really sped things up and I wasn’t aware that there was an Admin interface for APEX.

Stephen

4. Question: Is there a table in the sys schema that identifies which “workspace” the user is assigned to?
    I couldn’t find it.

I’m trying to set it up from sqlpus. I’m having no luck loggin into the “apex” GUI.

The last time I used OracleExpress there was NO WORKSPACE needed. Now the application has a workspace requirement?! Stupid!

kurt

5. You can look here for more administrative details.

6. Thanks a lot.Your post helped me to install and create apex workspace:)

priyanka

7. Thanks… this post helped me to configure workspace and user.

Nanang

8. Thanks, Michael. This helped a lot.

Arnel

9. This has been one of the best posts I have found and resetting the admin account. I kept getting locked out of my workspaces, after a couple of weeks and although many sites said to go in and unlock it using the admin account, I never knew the password for it as it was set up months ago before.

In order to execute the command however, you have to go to the oracle 11 startup administrator and then start the database. Then you need to change the directories to this

c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\apex

The above account path stops at server. Then log into SQL*Plus in the same startup administrator console by typing: sqlplus. It will prompt your user name and password. Add you system user name and password. Then once you are connected, use the command:

@appexpwd admin

It will run a PL/SQL procedure that will reset the password. Then, as the instructions indicates above log into the admin site for apex and then you have to reset the passward and you will be in. From there you have many choices to go in and modify your existing workspaces and users or to create new ones.

Cindy Davis

10. Cindy,

You don’t need to change to that directory because you can run any of the utilities from the $ORACLE_HOME by substituting a ?, like:

sqlplus> @?\apex\appexpwd

Other than that, thanks for an excellent comment. ;-)

11. I always get:

SP2-0310: unable to open file “appexpwd.sql”

Stefan

12. Sorry, forget it. Following the instructions at the end of your post, but using the command at the beginning worked.

Thanks a lot! :)

Stefan

13. SQL*Plus error. Try opening it from a directory where you have write permissions.

14. [...] En el dashboard ya puedes configurar el usuario y el workspace [...]

15. Please let me know how to re-install my username and password on Oracle 11g Express.

Gene

16. Gene,

It’s started automatically by root as a default. Copy the Oracle Home configuration file into a config.sh file owned by the root user. Connect as the root user and source the file:

. ./config.sh

Connect to the database with the SYSDBA privilege, like:

sqlplus / as sysdba

Reset the SYS and SYSTEM user’s password, like:

ALTER USER system IDENTIFIED BY new_password;

You should be good to go …

17. hey ,
    i can’t connect to APEX Administration !
    how can i get the username and the password

ines

18. Which user name are you looking for?

19. […] APEX (Application Express) […]

20. i have problem in opening my workspace in oracle 11g. although i have entered correct user name . workspace and password. please help me

mehwish

21. Mehwish, I’d need more information about what you’re doing and the error messages, if any?

22. Thanks A Loottt