I’ve been busy working on other things since APEX 4 shipped. After I got through the installations of Oracle Database 11g XE (see prior posts), figuring out the default user name and password for APEX Administration became a tedious task. The documentation didn’t really help point to what was needed but it’s always in the code.
You reset the APEX Administration Account for Oracle Database 11g XE by doing the following steps:
- Open a command shell and change the directory to the
%ORACLE_HOME%\apexdirectory (the default Oracle Home is
c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server). Then, connect as the
SYSTEMuser to the SQL*Plus utility, and run the following command that sets the temporary password to “
admin“. You’ll reset the password when you connect through the web interface.
- Open APEX Administration by navigating to the
http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin, and you’ll see the following APEX Administration Login screen. Enter admin as the user name and admin as the password and click the Login button.
- You’ll be prompted to reset the password in the following Change Password screen. Enter admin as the old password and a new password that complies with the following rules, and click the Apply Changes button.
- Password must contain at least 6 characters.
- New password must differ from old password by at least 2 characters.
- Password must contain at least one numeric character (0123456789).
- Password must contain at least one punctuation character (!”#$%&()“*+,-/:;<=>?_).
- Password must contain at least one upper-case alphabetic character.
- Password must not contain username.
- After configuring the APEX Administration account, click on the Manage Workspaces icon (or button), as shown below. If re-opening the browser to go straight here, just type the following URL
- The upper left box contains what you need to create a workspace. Click on the Create Workspace option as shown below.
- The choice to add a workspace launched a provisioning workflow. You first Identify Workspace.
- The dialog box for this second provisioning step is:
- The dialog box for this third provisioning step is:
- The dialog box for this fourth provisioning step cpmfirms what you’re doing before you perform the task:
- The dialog box for this fifth provisioning step confirms success or reports failure:
- After you’ve provisioned a workspace, you can create objects like you did with APEX 3. Enter the following URL:
http://localhost:8080/apexand you’ll be brought to this login screen.
- After logging in to your Basic workspace, you’ll have these four principal widgets, as shown in the screen capture.
Maybe I went through the 2-Day APEX manual too quickly but I didn’t see how to do this, all I saw was how to use the
HR sample schema. As always, I hope this helps others.