Windows 7 Static IP

There are some subtle changes between Windows 7 and either Windows XP and Windows Vista. Since I use virtualization (with VMWare Fusion) extensively to test environments, I seem to go through this drill too often. By the way, I upgraded to VMWare Fusion 3 before testing the production releases of Windows 7.

The easiest Windows 7 installation uses DHCP. That’s what I did before patching the OS, installing virus protection software, and installing a few tools and program. Then, I change from a dynamic IP to static IP address and add a meaningful name to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file. Here are the steps to set a static IP address on Windows 7:

WindowsControlPanel7

1. Assuming that you’re in the Category view, you should navigate to the Control Panel, choose Network and Internet, and then click Network and Sharing Center. This is the window that you should see (click image to enlarge it):

NetworkSetup1

Click the Local Area Connection to begin configuring your static IP address.

NetworkSetup2

1. From the Local Area Connection Status window, click the Details button to see your existing connection details (most likely DHCP). If you’re running this in VMWare Fusion, the 172.16.153.129 is the first IP address allocated. You should note the default gateway and DNS server IP address, which should always be 172.16.153.2. Click the Close button when you’ve made note of those IP addresses for subsequent steps.

NetworkSetup3

1. Back at the Local Area Connection Status window, click the Properties button. It will show you the Local Area Connection Properties dialog. Click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) in the item box of the dialog window.

NetworkSetup4

1. Click the Use the following IP address radio button and enter the appropriate values for your static IP address. The default gateway and DNS server are generally different but are the same when you’re using NAT addressing inside VMWare.

NetworkSetup5

You should be completed now. If you test the connection, Windows 7 raises and error but everything works after you reboot the operating system.

November 26th, 2009 at 9:34 pm

123 Responses to 'Windows 7 Static IP'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Windows 7 Static IP'.

1. Fred, I added a screen shot of the Windows 7 default Control Panel, and you can see that the Network and Internet is an option. It’s the Category view.

2. The post was written using Version 3 of VMWare Fusion. Several things have changed between Version 3 and 5 as to IP address numbers used. The suggestion in the posting was to first confirm the IP address by configuring a DHCP IP first. Did you do that from Step #3?

3. It depends on if your security system is software or hardware. I’d suggest you check the security system’s vendor web site.

4. I have some confusion Plzz help me to clear as don’t know much about networking..

I want to access a web application on computer that is part of a private network. The network has 15 to 20 comps having Ip’s of range 192.168.1.xx.

I want to assign a static ip address provided by my ISP(Internet Service Provider), to the computer hosting my web application so that i can access my web app. from any where using a internet connection.

Please let me know wats the procedure.

Ashish

Ashish

5. I’m having some problems. I’ve done pretty much everything by the book. I got my ipv4 and entered it and everything, but when I go to check my IP, it doesn’t change! Why? Here are my details:
    IPv4 Address :198.168.0.11
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Dave

6. hello when i strat my pc i am not able to connect to internet. once the computer is on need to diagonise the problem in properties. i am using windows7 . when i start pc the error message for internet is cannot find ip . pls give the solution for this.

zia

7. What do you find when you run ipconfig from the command-line?

8. […] There are some subtle changes between Windows 7 and earlier releases […]

9. Thanks! Easy to follow guide, my net works now!

harry

10. I just spent a lo0t of time because I lost my internet connection. After reading about man web sites how to fix it I ended up here. The information greatly expanded my knowledge of ip address and how and where to set them. None of the solutions worked and I reviewed how I got to no internet connection, related to my ip address that was not being assigned correctly by my router. I had added a switch, and taken it out when the problem started. Then I moved things around and finally I pulled out my cable tester.

My cable had lost one pair of the four pairs. I changed my cable and everything was back to working. Putting the switch in required me moving a cable and that cable failed when moved.

TEST your cable before spending hours on everything else.

Harry Samuel

11. […] using a static IP address […]

12. hi!

my network connection details

DHCP Enabled Yes
    IPV4 Address 192.168.0.106

IPv4 Default gateway 192.168.0.1

pls let me know wat to do!!!

prashant patil

13. Prashant, I don’t know what you’ve done. Have you followed the post instructions? What fails?

14. I have no idea what I’m doing… I’m running a wireless connection to my laptop, but I just want to set up a server to play a game with a friend… And in order to play said game, I need a static IP. If you could give me any help at all, that would be amazing.

Greg

15. Whether the connection is wireless or not shouldn’t matter. You just need to determine the default gateway, and then determine you can typically assign a static IP in the range of the gateway. For example, if your gateway is 192.0.0.1 then you should be able to use 192.0.0.11 as your static IP address.

I recently got windows 7 professional installed on my laptop. Whenever I am trying to connect to any ISP either through LAN or through a wireless router, the ethernet is not obtaining the ip address automatically although in the TCP/Ip prpoerties it has been set to “OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY” ..it is only detecting static ip.What do think the problem is? and how do I solve it?

Abhijnan

17. Abhijnan, Does the router support DHCP?

18. […] to private static IP which are out of DHCP range (Again, configurable in Mio Box). For a look, Set Static IP Address in Windows 7 | MacLochlainns Weblog Summary: DHCP Server aka a Router feature to most simple networking case is like your parents, […]

19. So, this didn’t work for me through wireless. I’m very Internet savvy, and have set up static ip for my two gaming systems and my wife and my Android devices and they work splendidly. But I tried this and added my laptop using one of the remaining static ip slots and it didn’t work. I tried all remain slots. Couldn’t connect me. Any thoughts?

Bobby

20. Bobby, Are you trying to have multiple network connections? Like, one DHCP and the other a static IP?

21. Great stuff. An IP-address is a distinctive string of numbers that exclusively recognizes a computer/PC or server on Internet.

swati sharma

22. I really need help on this issue:

im having the first servers static ip as 192.168.10.* which os from the router and im connecting cat5e cable to server 2. I want server 2 to use scope 10 but allocate 192.168.11.* to server two users but I dnt get any internet connection on the server as it shows limited. please help on how can I get users to have internet from server two that has scope 11 ip which is on the same network of 10 scope???

Lefa

23. Lefa, The first three numbers must be the same in a single subdomain. You’d need to setup two subdomains to accomplish what you propose.