Manual Oracle Service

Ruairi asked how you could disable automatic start of the Oracle Service for Oracle 11g on Windows 7 (a comment here). Ruairi also provided a nice Windows shell script that you can copy for starting and stopping the Oracle Service in his last comment.

The simplest way is to launch a command shell because I don’t want to provide all the navigation variations for different Windows versions.

Basically, you do that by clicking the Windows Start button and type cmd word in the run entry box. This launches a command session. Type the following from the prompt. It launches the Windows Services console in all relevant versions:

C:\> services.msc

Now you’ll see the Windows Services console. Navigate to the Oracle Service and right click on it. You choose Properties.

That will bring you to this screen. Click on the drop down for the Startup type and choose Manual. Click the OK button to complete the step. That’s it, the next time you start the machine the Oracle database won’t start automatically. You should do the same to the other Oracle Services.

If you don’t have a lot of memory and it’s a development machine, this makes a lot of sense.

March 18th, 2010 at 11:03 pm

6 Responses to 'Manual Oracle Service'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Manual Oracle Service'.

1. I am having problem getting an adapter connnection with the Loopback adapter in Windows 7. Any ideas on properly configuring the loopback adapter in Windows 7. Was much easier and straightforward in XP.

Thanks.

Shawn R

2. Can you provide some more detail about what’s not working? Error messages, and such …

3. Deja Vu – I am enrolled (again) in an intro SQL class and having trouble downloading software on my Windows 7 Home edition 64 bit (again). After searching the web, I came to this website and found that I had posted a question 2 years ago. lol. Hopefully, I have learned enough from my other classes to successfully navigate your blog site this time around. I honestly do not remember posting, but I probably did.

Shawn R

4. Shawn,

Good news or bad news, the answer is that you can’t install on Windows 7 Home Edition. You need Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate Edition because the Home Edition doesn’t have the networking components required to run the Oracle database. You can download Oracle VirtualBox, and install Fedora (instructions for Configuring Fedora on VMWare are found here). You can then install and configure Oracle Database 11g XE on Fedora by following these instructions.

An alternative would be to upgrade your Home Edition to Professional or Ultimate but if you do so, install Oracle Database 10g XE because the 11g XE install has problems on Windows OS. It’s covered here if you opt for that and encounter an error with the Oracle Installer.

Anyway, good luck with your class. You might benefit from this book that I wrote for my students. If you get it, let me know what you think.

5. when i try to activate oracle services in services.msc there is no service named with oracle

fasiuddin

6. There should be five services when you install on Windows. They have Oracle in the name but there not named simply Oracle.