Oracle 11g XE Installer

Finally, I got to install Oracle Database 11g Express Edition (XE) tonight. Unfortunately, I ran into an error during the installation. A quick Google search landed me in the forum, where it gave me the impression it wouldn’t work on Windows 7, 64-bit. However, I’m tenacious with problems like this. Here’s the screenshot for the error:

The text from the image is noted below to help folks find the solution.

The installer is unable to instantiate the file C:\Users\McLAUGH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\KEY_XE.reg. The file does not appear to exist.

The physical file isn’t missing, what failed to happen was that the installer didn’t write a Registry Key’s Data value. You can add the missing registry key’s Data value, and then click OK on the Error dialog box to continue the installation. (Replying to Andrea, I’ve provided screen shots on editing the Registry in a comment below.) It will succeed, at least it succeeded for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Rather than use abbreviations like the forum entry, the missing key is found here in the Windows Registry:

A screenshot shows that the Data value of the key wasn’t populated by the MSI (Microsoft Software Installer), the arguments remain for a script to populate:

You need to add the message value from your Error dialog as Data value of the Name entry 1, like this screenshot shows:

Since I believe the only things that should change are your Administrator’s hostname and the key value (type in the one that shows in the your dialog box), here’s the text you’ll need to enter:

C:\Users\hostname\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\

This fix worked for me, and I hope the same holds true for you.

September 13th, 2011 at 12:51 am

150 Responses to 'Oracle 11g XE Installer'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Oracle 11g XE Installer'.

1. Thanks for the reply! =]

Well, I’m removing the software by the CCleaner, and after there are some empty folders that keep existing in the C:\oraclexe folder that I manually remove.

I don’t know how to make a registry copy before the install, how can I do that?
    But, after all the install/remove I did, the registry is lost, right? Now I just can recover it if i reinstall the Windows operational system?
    If so, I have a problem, cause it’s the company pc and I can’t reinstall the Windows operation system by myself.

More info about the failure, let’s see, I unzip the DISK1 to my desktop and run the setup.exe.
    I make the installation using the default location, and as I am using the Windows 7 64x that pop up error of “The installer is unable to instantiate the file…” does appear during the installation.
    When it happens I do all the registry change things, like you said above, I open the regedit, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Installer -> Products -> 266B7A503A089BE4EAD1986A429434C1 -> SorceList -> Media and change the “1” value data to C:\Users\mtoda\AppData\Local\Temp\{EF28066A-F707-4A2F-8913-B24DF3A067D1} and then I proceed the installation clicking on OK on the pop up. So the installation finishes with success.
    But, when I try to open the Get Start page (http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950), it just open a page with “Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 127.0.0.1:8080”. So, idk what I’m missing…

One more thing, when I run the “Start database” appears the message:
    The OracleServiceXE service is starting.
    The OracleServiceXE service was started successfully.

And if I run the “Stop Database” appears the message:
    net stop OracleServiceXE
    The OracleServiceXE service is stopping.
    The OracleServiceXE service was stopped successfully.

So I think maybe the database is working, but can the database work even if that Get Start page doesn’t?

Well, I think that’s it.

Milene

2. It sounds like the database installed correctly, and is working. The problem appears to be APEX from your description but could you check a couple things to make sure. Open a command shell and run this command with the password you created during the installation:

sqlplus system/your_password

Then, run this one with the TNS network alias:

sqlplus system/your_password@xe

If the first succeeded but second failed, please run this command:

tnsping xe

If that fails, please install Perl and test the viability of socket communication by using the sample files in this Perl socket example. Let me know what worked and didn’t work.

3. Hi! I followed the instructions as follow:
    I opened a cmd and typed sqlplus system/my_password, but it showed a message:

'sqlpus' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I don’t know what is TNS network alias, so I didn’t run the second command.

So, I installed Perl and tested the socket communication using those socket examples and it worked. The “Hello there!” message showed up.

What else can I do now?

Milene

4. Thanks for the solution. It worked. But I have so far successfully installed oracle server,but when I run the command:

C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin> lsnrctl status

I get ‘gt’ is not recognized as internal or external command operable program and batch file.

I have to confirm that Is there anything I might have escaped, might cause an error in futue in further progress.

Ruba

5. If the command was copied from the web, it’s possible that the “gt” code be a substitution for the greater than symbol. Is that possible?

6. The sqlplus executable isn’t found, which means Oracle didn’t install or at least it failed to configure your system %PATH% variable. Please search for the sqlplus.exe in your operating system to see if it’s installed.

The TNS network alias is the short string that let’s you navigate levels 5, 6, and 7 of the OSI stack using Oracle’s Transparent Network Substrate (TNS).

7. The sqlplus.exe is in the path C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN.

Milene

8. Try running this command:

C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN\sqlplus system/your_password

Then, if that works repeat with this if it’s the TNS alias in your tnsnames.ora file.

C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN\sqlplus system/your_password@orcl

9. I run the command: C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN\sqlplus system/your_password

And I got this message: “Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
    Message file sp1.msb not found
    SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory”

So I searched how to solve this problem, and I tried to set the %ORACLE_HOME% variable. When I tried to run the first command again a pop up showed up with the message:

Message file UTILITY_MSG\spw.msb not found!

So, I think the varisble is still incorrect.

Milene

10. Milene, It’s possible that the %ORACLE_HOME%, %ORACLE_SID%, or %ORACLE_UNQNAME% are incorrect. The error means that the executable wanted to throw and exception but couldn’t find the file that contains error message in your installed language.

It’s best to set these in a batch file, oraenv.bat, like this:

REM SET Oracle Environment VARIABLES manually.
    SET ORACLE_HOSTNAME=localhost
    SET ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\rcuHome
    SET ORACLE_SID=orcl
    SET ORACLE_UNQNAME=orcl

REM ADD Oracle's binary path to system path.
    SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

Then, retry the post. That rules out whether or not it’s environment path items. Although, it does appear you have an incomplete installation.

11. i followed the step provided by YASSIN but my problem is not resolved.
    i’m getting the same error msg KEY_XE.rg is not available

avinash

12. Avinash, The registry error differs from install to install, which means you have to capture and repair the key value pair affected by your installation.

13. maclochlainn, thanks for the help.

I couldn’t complete the installation because I’m not working anymore at the corporation. But I passed your blog to the project team so they can continue the work.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience and thanks again.

Milene

14. […] In case of GUI installation please follow this link. […]

15. I am also facing the same problem “error msg KEY_XE.rg is not available”. Can anybody help me out in this.
    Thanks in advance.. :)

Neha

16. Hi, I am also facing the same error msg KEY_XE.rg is not available. Can anybody please help me out.

neha

17. This worked for me by following the steps mentioned at the beginning of the post by Mclaugh.

– Installed XE 11g 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit
    – Got the same pop up KEY_XE error. Fixed by adding the value in regedit (- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\266B7A503A089BE4EAD1986A429434C1\SourceList\Media).

added value to REG_SZ –> C:\Users\hostname\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\

– Added local machine IP address in host file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)
    – After installation, I was able to start DB from start menu (http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950:1:1816303992624411)
    – Tested DB connection using cmd SQLPLUS.
    – Installed Oracle client
    – Installed Toad
    – Added TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME path in environment variable.

Hope this helps!

Kiran

18. hi friends,
    I follow this step by step

C:\Users\MRK\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\

but, I stay problem with this …
    I got this message :

” Windows cannot find ‘http://127.0.0.1:%HTTPPROT%/apex/f?p=4950’. Make sure you typed tha name correctly, and try again. ”

what I do now ?

Sonia

19. This failure means that the XDB Server didn’t get configured during the install. You can manually install it.

20. Works great! Saved me hours of headache. Thanks!

Simon

21. Thanks for the post, this was very helpful.

Jeff

22. Hi!

After to do step by step all the solutions expones in the post, the error acceding to the url http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 still remained.

Finally, I solved the problem changing the ip “127.0.0.1” by “localhost” in the url:

I hope this help you!!

Pablo

23. Did you configure your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host file before installing? You can check Step #4 from this post for the target values (you typically only need the first three with DHCP configurations), but it should be done before installation because it opt to use the hostname or IP address (some values stored in database tables).

24. hi maclochlainn,

I’m to re-intall again due I got an error tring to connect to XE listener althougt the ‘lsnrctl status’ command is ok. In addiction after reboot the appex url does not works. I have a static IP 192.168.1.129 in my computer. Which values suggest me in the host system file? my pc name is My-PC.

Is necessary copy the KEY_XE.reg fily to the temp installation directoty or just change the registry key?

Thanks!!

Pablo

25. It depends how it fails, and you just have to adjust to the registry key that fails.

26. Great it is also working on Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center

Zakir

27. Thanks Change in Registry Setting worked for me. i am using Windows 7 64 Bit Machine

Sam

28. Hi all,

I had the same problem as most of you with the XE TNS Listener, and here is how I fixed it.

After many failed instalations, I finally discovered that there is an IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT for the listener to be succesfully configured during the installation :

– The administrative share for C$ has to be enabled.

In my case I forget that I have previously disabled the administrative shares for security reasons, so I had to restore the administrative share for C$.

Here you can find how to create administrative share for C$ -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314984

Ensure that it works -> Open \\yourhostname\c$

Then you can follow the installation steps provided by Eder :

1. Start the installer ‘Setup.exe’. Wait until asked about the path.
    2. Do not press next. Open with Windows Explorer the folder like this:

C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp{60712028-B7B0-4EC3-9C28-663111EC954A}

3. There will be a file OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg. Make a copy and rename the copy to KEY_XE.reg
    4. Go to the installer and go ahead with the installation.

You will not see any error about the KEY_XE.reg not found.

To fix the APEX URL :
    1. Go to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server
    2. Click over the file Get_Started and choose properties
    3. There change the %HTTPPORT% for you port, usually 8080, will be like this:

That was all I had to do and everything is working well (sqlplus, SQL Developer, and APEX).

Thanks to Eder and maclochlainn.

Salim CHERIF

29. Brilliant!!!
    Thanks for posting this solution. It worked :)

Paras Duneja

30. I want to change my host name and port number in tnsnames.ora file by notepad but it shows Access is denied.. Pls tell me the solution pls

Roger

31. I followed the instructions but when the installation goes “configuring database” then the installation just stalls there forever, is there a fix for this?

Sergio

32. Open the file by right clicking on it, as Administrator, and you should be able to change the file. You’ve got UAC running in your Windows environment, and that restricts file access and editing to the Administrator account.

33. Choose to only install the server and then manually launch the DBCA utility. Most likely that’s where there’s an error.

34. Fantastic notes here. Just so everyone knows, I tried this in Windows 8 x64 (with install files of x32) and it worked. Thanks to all.

gnans

35. thank you things worked out right please answer using screenshots that is really easy to understand

kedar

36. Gracias totales.

Giovanni Luis Barrantes Lazo

37. Thanks for the post, this was very helpful.

Pradip Agarwal

I am trying to install oracle xe 11g on windows 7, 32 bit.

Everything goes fine until the step that asks for password. I put in the password and say next. Then the wizard comes with a pop up and says cannot instantiate listener.ora file. I say ok, and try continuing, again another pop up comes that says cannot instantiate tnsnames.ora file. This continues with several files not being able to be instantiated. Then the set up terminates

I am an administrator on the computer and tried with both UAC on and off, the results are the same as above

Any help in this would be appreciated

Thanks

Rathi

39. Rathi, My guess is that you’re using Windows 7 Home Edition. Is that correct? If so, it can’t work because that version of Windows doesn’t support a full network stack. You need to use Windows 7 Professional Edition, which installs a workstation version of networking.

40. Hi, Thank you for the reply.

My computer has an enterprise edition. I checked on the XE installation requirements document of Oracle and it said it does support Enterprise Edition.

Thanks

Rathi

41. Rathi, OK. Then, did you try to install this previously? If so, you may need to cleanup the registry.

42. Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

Yes I have tried to install many a times. Also, I read on the Internet that a computer must not belong to any domain in order to install xe. Mine is a office computer and belongs to a domain. Is this any issue?

Also please let me know as to how I can clean up the registry?

Thanks

Rathi

43. Rathi,

It can belong to a domain, that’s not a problem. If it’s a laptop and you change domains, you can encounter a networking problem.

Typically, most organizations authorize dynamic IP addressing. My guess is that’s what you have. If that’s the case, you need to identify your hostname and domain, and then enter them in your hosts file. You need to be the Administrator to do so.

You need to configure your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Use lines 1 through 3 when you’re using a DHCP IP address, and lines 1 through 4 when you’re using a static IP address. If you want to set a static IP address, check this old post on how to set a static IP address. Please note that the hostname needs to be lowercase.

127.0.0.1      localhost
    ::1            localhost
    127.0.0.1      yourmachinename yourmachinename.yourdomain.com

After you configure the machine, you should be able to retry the installer. It sounds as if you fail during the cloning operation, which is where it reads your network configuration to setup your Oracle networking files.

44. It worked !!!!

I was at this for days and you helped me finally get it working.

Thanks a LOT!!

Rathi

After installing Oracle XE, I have been trying to look for control file information.

When I query V$CONTROLFILE or do a SHOW PARAMETER CONTROL_FILES, I get an output as

C:\USERS\605473827\DISK1\ORACLEEE\APP\ORACLE\ORADATA\XE\CONTROL.DBF

Shouldnt the output mention a .ctl file and not a .dbf file?

My understanding is control files are intact otherwise the database wouldnt have mounted and opened. So why is the .ctl file not being displayed?

Thanks

Rathi

46. The file extension on control files is optional. You can manually set it to *.ctl or accept the default of *.dbf.

47. Thank You

Rathi

48. I’d never understand why a company charging millions and millions will have a stupid installation error like the ones with 11G. First, it’s 11G, and secondly, for a db championed by db experts who undoubtedly charges is in the 5 figure, Oracle is an embarassment. No auto increment key, dumb case insensitive username and passwords, and they charge you millions.

Since I’m charging my clients who can’t pay their original DB developers, I’m glad I managed to convince them to switch to MariaDB. Good riddance.

J.P

49. J.P., That’s quite a strong opinion. Oracle doesn’t seem to invest much in the free version of the database for Windows but it doesn’t have any errors on Linux. 😉