Oracle 11g XE Installer

Finally, I got to install Oracle Database 11g Express Edition (XE) tonight. Unfortunately, I ran into an error during the installation. A quick Google search landed me in the forum, where it gave me the impression it wouldn’t work on Windows 7, 64-bit. However, I’m tenacious with problems like this. Here’s the screenshot for the error:

The text from the image is noted below to help folks find the solution.

The installer is unable to instantiate the file C:\Users\McLAUGH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\KEY_XE.reg. The file does not appear to exist.

The physical file isn’t missing, what failed to happen was that the installer didn’t write a Registry Key’s Data value. You can add the missing registry key’s Data value, and then click OK on the Error dialog box to continue the installation. (Replying to Andrea, I’ve provided screen shots on editing the Registry in a comment below.) It will succeed, at least it succeeded for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Rather than use abbreviations like the forum entry, the missing key is found here in the Windows Registry:

A screenshot shows that the Data value of the key wasn’t populated by the MSI (Microsoft Software Installer), the arguments remain for a script to populate:

You need to add the message value from your Error dialog as Data value of the Name entry 1, like this screenshot shows:

Since I believe the only things that should change are your Administrator’s hostname and the key value (type in the one that shows in the your dialog box), here’s the text you’ll need to enter:

C:\Users\hostname\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\

This fix worked for me, and I hope the same holds true for you.

September 13th, 2011 at 12:51 am

137 Responses to 'Oracle 11g XE Installer'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Oracle 11g XE Installer'.

1. [...] step-by-step installation [...]

2. Kris Rice did tweet that a Win 64 bit version of XE “is in the works”

Gary

3. Good job man!!

it’s worked for me.

Regards

Savior

It’s true, this method will solve the bug, but the home page hasn’t shown yet.

Maybe the ports not good (because of the TNS Service doesn’t run). How can I change the ports under the installation?

Regards,
    mig8

mig8

5. Updated the post to ensure everyone knows that the key value can differ and you need to type in the one shown in your error message dialog box.

6. You can check Step #7 in this post. I’d suggest you uninstall and re-install. Also, make sure that you enter the key value from your error message. They can differ.

7. Works great. Thanks for posting this. I was tearing my hair out trying to solve it.

Jimmy

8. Great Tip, It worked for me

Mike

9. Great tip. Works like a charm.

MKS

10. Thanks it works!

Anders

I am also getting the same issue pop up(The installer is unable to instantiate the file C:\Users\SAMRAT\AppData\Local\Temp\{some value..}\KEY_XE.reg), so according to this blog I went to the path mentioned in the error pop up but could not find out the file “KEY_XE.reg” where I will set up the key data value.I am also installing in Windows7 64 bit.The DB installation file is “OracleXE112_Win32″.Please help me in resolving this issue.Thanks

Samrat

Those who have successfully resolved the above issue please let me know the step by step procedure how you have successfully set up this value after getting the error pop up.Thanks.

Samrat

13. You make the change in the registry. Use regedit to edit the registry.

14. I have Windows 7 x64 and a got the problem about the KEY_XE.reg not fount. I have tried a lot of configurations I have finally solved.

We need do some thinks:

1. Start the installer ‘Setup.exe’. Wait until asked about the path.
    2. Do not press next. Open with Windows Explorer the folder like this:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp{60712028-B7B0-4EC3-9C28-663111EC954A}

3. There will be a file OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg. Make a copy and rename the copy to KEY_REG.reg
    4. Go to the installer and go ahead with the installation.

You will not see any error about the KEY_XE.reg not found.

Now, you need check your hostname and localhost. Open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and check if you have something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.20 your_pc_hostname

The second line is your IP, this one is an example. Try to stop and start the Oracle Express by the shortcut at the start menu. To check if all Oracle services are running, use this command:

C:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin>lsnrctl status

The result:

LSNRCTL FOR 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production ON 26-OUT-2011 00:09:03

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. ALL rights reserved.

Connection WITH (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
    LISTENER STATUS
    NICK LISTENER
    Version TNSLSNR FOR 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
    Initial DATE 25-OUT-2011 23:36:53
    Running 0 dias 0 hr. 32 MIN. 14 seg
    Analysis level off
    Security ON: LOCAL OS Authentication
    SNMP OFF
    DEFAULT Service XE
    Listener param. D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
    Log Listener D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\\listener\alert\log.xml
    Resume...
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1ipc)))
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.1.20)(PORT=1521)))
    (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=zetared-pc)(PORT=8080))(Presentation=HTTP)(SESSION=RAW))
    Services...
    O service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "CLRExtProc", STATUS UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    O service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
    Instance "PLSExtProc", STATUS UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service..
    O Service "XEXDB" tem 1 Instance(s).
    Instance "xe", STATUS READY, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    O service "xe" has 1 Instance(s).
    Instance "xe", STATUS READY, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...

You cannot see the services “xe”, so you need do fix the listener.ora at

D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN\listener.ora

If your hostname or localhost didn’t work, so put your PC IP, like this:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)
    (SID_DESC =
    (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
    (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
    (PROGRAM = extproc)

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.20)(PORT = 1521))
    DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

Maybe can be necessary fix the D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\ADMIN\sample\LISTENER.ORA, put the IP too. Like this:

# LISTENER =
    # (ADDRESS_LIST=
    # (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.1.20)(PORT=1521))
    # (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=PNPKEY)))

If you try open the apex by the Windows start menu and get the error http://127.0.0.1:%HTTPPORT%/apex/f?p=4950. It is easy:

Go to D:\Oracle\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server and click over the file Get_Started and choose properties, there change the %HTTPPORT% for you port, usually 8080, will be like this:

Pay attention, I have installed Oracle Express 11g at D:\Oracle.

Eder

15. I cannot follow what I need to do here. I’m so confused!

Andrea

16. Where exactly do I edit in regedit? Where do I find this – HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\266B7A503A089BE4EAD1986A429434C1\SourceList\Media?

I can’t find anything remotely similar to that

Andrea

17. Here’s how you open regedit.exe from Windows:

18. I can get to regedit but the rest I have no clue what to do.

Andrea

19. Andrea,

You should see the following when you launch the Windows 7 Registry:

Click on the arrow symbol to the left of the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT node to expand the node tree. Scroll down until you find the Installer node and click the arrow symbol to expand the node tree another level. Repeat the process for the Product, Product Key Value, and SourceList nodes, as displayed below.

Click on the Media node, which is a leaf node in the Registry tree. Click on the Name 1 and then click the Edit menu option. Within the drop down menu, click on the Modify… option to edit the Data value.

Enter the fully qualified Value data value, which should include the key value provided in the error dialog from the Oracle Installer.

I hope this helps you fix your installation problem.

20. See! Nothing to it. This is how installers should work, right?

Oracle’s installer, what a humorless joke…

Bill Kuhn

21. Your fix by filling in the key worked like a champ for me. I filled it in using Regedit while the error message was still up, then had to hit enter twice to get beyond the error message. Installation took a while to finish but once it was done I can get to my Getting Started page w/o problem.

Thanks!

Oracle’s install is still a monumental fail, as it is.

Bill Kuhn

22. Thank you. It worked for me too.

Pegah

23. After fixing this issue, I was having a lot of problems starting the database and connecting to http://localhost:8080/apex url… Until I realized that I was installing the Oracle 11g XE on a 64 bit using a 32 bit installer. When I tried installing on the 32 bit system, I no longer got this error message.

Pegah

24. Thank you so much, the installation worked just perfect.
    Now my alert log fills rapidly with
    “OER 7451 in Load Indicator : Error Code = OSD-04500: illegal option specified”
    As per Oracle:
    nstalled 32-bit Oracle database software on a 64-bit MS Windows OS which is not supported.

And yes, it is 32-bit db on 64-bit os. Any idea how to resolve the error or at least to suppress it?

Thanks!

Mila

25. Hey everyone
    Let me give you a senario about my installation of Oracle XE11g 32-bit in my laptop:

Actully, I am having Win7 OS but it’s 64-bit ! ! !
    I install XE11g 32-bit on it and I got the error mentioned above but it did not harm anything. In fact installation went on successfully. Then I installed Oracle Developer6i along with it to run my applicatioin and it works also fine…
    I dump few data using export import steps and that also went perfect so when i start running the application it works fine….now the proplem occur when i run the report… the system hangs where I am using same application with same XE11g 32-bit in Win XP with no problem at all! ! ! !
    anyone has faced this propblem????

Nasser

26. Nice article..!
    Really helpful. Resolved the issue.

@Eder : Thanks so much for step by step explanation for 64bit windows

Gopi

27. Nice Article, really helpful in resolving XE installation issue.

@Eder: Thank you for the step by step, just one change in my case – For Step 3. There will be a file OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg. Make a copy and rename the copy to KEY_XE.reg instead of KEY_REG.reg.

Vipul

28. Nice Article, like Vipul I’d to rename the file at step3 to KEY_REG.reg to avoid the error message.

However i cannot get the XE to launch.

I’m missing:

And

O Service "XEXDB" tem 1 Instance(s).
    Instance "xe", STATUS READY, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    O service "xe" has 1 Instance(s).
    Instance "xe", STATUS READY, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...</code>

My lsnrctl status look like this:

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on 17-JANV.-2012 11:52:19

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias                     LISTENER
    Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
    Start Date                17-JANV.-2012 11:52:11
    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 8 sec
    Trace Level               off
    Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
    SNMP                      OFF
    Default Service           XE
    Listener Parameter File   D:\tools\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
    Listener Log File         D:\tools\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\FR-35-01-11-021\listener\alert\log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1ipc)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
    The command completed successfully

Even after editing the listener.ora. My host file only has: 127.0..0.1 localhost

WilliamB

29. What’s in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file?

30. Thanks for answering

My Hists file:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    #	127.0.0.1       localhost
    #	::1             localhost

127.0.0.1       localhost

So not much.

WilliamB

31. Try the following, and make sure your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora use zetard-pc.

127.0.0.1      localhost
    ::1            localhost
    127.0.0.1      zetard-pc zetard-pc.domain

You may also find these Windows 7 pre-configuration steps helpful.

32. [...] similar al tuyo que el usuario consigue solucionar y hacerlo correr, incluso en W7 64 bits: Oracle Database 11g XE Installer Error | MacLochlainns Weblog Espero te sirva, [...]

33. great tip…worked very well…no need of renaming the reg file.

rOY

I have installed successfully without modifying reg. It went fine after clicking OK without modifying error message. Does it mean, I am ok with the installation. Or do i need to uninstall and reinstall with registry fix. is it the last registry to be edited among all the entries for products in the list. Please let me know.

Neel

35. Sometimes, it does work. Most times, it doesn’t. It appears you’re lucky.

36. Thanks for the quick feedback. I was not able to find our the right key to edit. After clicking ok, I was not able to stop the installer in order to enter the key. I got successful installation message at the end. I am assuming that, everything if fine with my installation. Let me know if i need to reinstall the software.

Neel

37. Windoze 7 64 bitzzz. Followed the registry key manual edit by copying the error message I got… the installer ended successfully (that’s what it reported), then hangs. I’m stuck, installation won’t end, step 7 of the installation will never fire up. Oracle XE 11g => FAIL.

snadeau

38. You can try it again, or you can install Oracle Database 11g R2. The latter works well.

39. I have the same issue as William (posted on 17 Jan). My DB and listener are up and running but my Get Started page does not come up. I even tried installing Oracle 11g R2 but getting war file and ear file missing errors and not able to complete installation. Any suggestions? I have Windows 7 64 bit. I have tried lot of options for more that 4 days now.

Veena

40. Did you save a copy of your Windows registry before you attempted the Oracle Database 11g XE installation? If so, did you recover to that registry before attempting to install Oracle Database 11g? If the answers to either of these is no, that’s most likely the problem.

You typically have three options after a failed Oracle Database installation, recover to a saved registry state, manually cleanup the registry and file system, or re-install the Windows operating system. The get started page is a link and editable. Dependent on what you did, you can edit the file. My guess is you’ll be fine if you edit it since everything else is working. You can do that by right clicking on the menu option, then choose properties. I’ve got a hunch that the link is looking for Oracle Database 11g XE not what you’ve got installed.

41. I have had the same issues. I’ve worked through the rededit fix but I don’t have any “xe” services showing. Does that mean the regedit fix did’t work? What does a functional listener.ora look like? Does it have the “xe” services in it?

I can successfully tnsping my listener with HOSTNAME, LOCALHOST, and IPs for HOSTNAME and LOCALHOST. I’m confident my listener is working. I’m missing the default services I think but I’m not sure what they are.

LSNRCTL STATUS (output)

LSNRCTL FOR 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production ON 10-FEB-2012 12:13:50

Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle.  ALL rights reserved.

Connecting TO (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
    STATUS OF the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias                     LISTENER
    START DATE                10-FEB-2012 11:33:50
    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 40 MIN. 0 sec
    Trace Level               off
    Security                  ON: LOCAL OS Authentication
    SNMP                      OFF
    DEFAULT Service           XE
    Listener Parameter File   D:\oracle\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
    Listener Log File         D:\oracle\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\\listener\alert\log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1ipc)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "CLRExtProc", STATUS UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "PLSExtProc", STATUS UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    The command completed successfully

Brett

42. Looks like the listener is up and running, the networking files are in the %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin directory. You can check for a working service by opening a command shell and typing the following (it’s easier than posting the navigation steps that change by version of Windows):

C:\> services.msc

I’ve posted this a few times trying to help folks creating their own Windows 7 service. It’s done with the ORADIM utility. ORADIM creates, maintains, and deletes Windows services for the database.

Create an instance by specifying the following options:

ORADIM -NEW -SID sid | -SRVC srvc | -ASMSID sid | -ASMSRVC srvc [-SYSPWD pass] [-STARTMODE auto|manual] [-SRVCSTART system|demand] [-PFILE file | -SPFILE [-SHUTMODE normal|immediate|abort] [-TIMEOUT secs] [-RUNAS osusr/ospass]

Edit an instance by specifying the following options:

ORADIM -EDIT -SID sid | -ASMSID sid [-SYSPWD pass] [-STARTMODE auto|manual] [-SRVCSTART system|demand] [-PFILE file | -SPFILE] [-SHUTMODE normal|immediate|abort] [-SHUTTYPE srvc|inst] [-RUNAS osusr/ospass]

Delete instances by specifying the following options:

ORADIM -DELETE -SID sid | -ASMSID sid | -SRVC srvc | -ASMSRVC srvc

Startup services and instance by specifying the following options:

ORADIM -STARTUP -SID sid | -ASMSID sid [-SYSPWD pass] [-STARTTYPE srvc|inst|srvc,inst] [-PFILE filename | -SPFILE]

Shutdown service and instance by specifying the following options:

ORADIM -SHUTDOWN -SID sid | -ASMSID sid [-SYSPWD pass] [-SHUTTYPE srvc|inst|srvc,inst] [-SHUTMODE normal|immediate|abort]

Query for help by specifying the following parameters:

ORADIM -? | -h | -help

I just Google’d to see if there was a page with some additional definitions for folks. You can also find additional information here.

43. [...] Once I downloaded it I merely ran the Disk1setup.exe file. It was mostly straightforward, but I ran into a little hitch during the installation. It is possibly because I am installing a 32 bit Oracle database onto a 64 bit Windows 2008 R2 server. Luckily I found the work around at this link:  http://blog.mclaughlinsoftware.com/2011/09/13/oracle-11g-xe-installer/ [...]

What is the good free GUI client to work with 11g xe installed on windows 7 64bit syste.

Neel

45. Oracle SQL Developer is free and available in a 64-bit version.

46. Bingo!

I followed your instructions to a “T” and it worked perfectly!

Thank you for you efforts!!!

It’s people like you that save people like me from getting a headache :>

Robert V.

Robert Vignato

47. Thank you so much just wasted 4 hours trying to figure this out adn it finally worked afer a uninstall and deleting the old install directory then following above.
    thanks
    thanks
    thanks
    Chris W

CHRIS WILCOX

48. I followed the instructions for install and installed correctly but couldn’t connect via sqlplus to xe, then I did a trawl of the web and found problems related to the Windows Event viewer (Windows Event Log service not started). I then did another trawl and managed to the get event log service running by modifying the permissions on eventlog folder, re-booting, then uninstalled xe and removed oraclexe folder, then I re-installed updated by listener.ora to this:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
        (SID_DESC =
          (SID_NAME = XE)
          (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = WGC1W7GJQB65J.warley.ford.com)(PORT = 1521))
          (ADDRESS=  (PROTOCOL = tcp)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)                    (PORT = 8080))

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

I then ensured my tnsnames.ora matched the host name like this:

XE =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = WGC1W7GJQB65J.warley.ford.com)(PORT = 1521))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = XE)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SID = PLSExtProc)
          (PRESENTATION = RO)

ORACLR_CONNECTION_DATA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SID = CLRExtProc)
          (PRESENTATION = RO)

I then stopped and re-started the listener via lsnrctl.exe and I was able to connect to XE via sqlplus and via sqldeveloper. However I still cannot connect to the web front-end (apex), but I am a lot happier than I was 2 days ago when this suddenly stopped working.
    :-)

Sid Sewell

49. At the end I succeeded, works fine!!
    Thanks!

Cristina

50. i found a problem in oracle 11g xpress edition installation….it shows messag

appdata/local/temp{165FCD36-DD30-49D3-A420-3D1A6A70A7C6}\KEY_XE.REG does not appear.........

can anybody help me to resolve this problem…..thanking you

deep

51. The solution for me was the one maclochlainn provided. Thank you.

1) All I had to do was just double click the Oracle setup.exe file, but don’t do anything. Don’t cliect next yet.

2) The setup program will create 2 additional temp directories initially in C:\Users\V252112\AppData\Local\Temp\{….}

- What you need to look for is one of the three directories that look like {5ECC178F-4652-4BB1-9256-8C836685EED6} as an example. Not exactly this number.

- In one of them, the installer will create a file called “OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg”, just make a copy of this file in the same directory and name it KEY_XE.reg.

3) Continue with your installation.

4) Finish

THAT IS IT.

It should work.

Thank you for the solution.

Yassin

52. Hello!

Thank you! I think it works! Nice advice! :)

Florin

53. Yeah, that worked for me, thank u! =D

André

54. I followed this workaround and the installation appeared to work but cannot log in to Apex (http://localhost:8087/apex). It is saying invalid credentials. I know the password I set up is correct. Any ideas?

And I did not add the KEY_XE.reg to the end of the path for the key value in the registry. Could that be the problem? I did not add that because in your screenshots you did not appear to add it to yours.

treytuck

55. On my Win 2008R2 it was enough to copy OracleMTSRecoveryService.reg into KEY_XE.reg and proceed with installation.

Ilya Oussov

56. Hi, its works fine i think no corupted file in db and so, but when u install patch for apex, its look like flash chart not work fine. There is some problem with XML parser. Did anyone get same problem?

newen

You can try this for the Silent Installation of Oracle XE 11g on windows 64bits :
    It’s my website in French but the procedure is easy !
    Good Luck !

Samuel Delsol

58. Merci, heureusement je peux lire le français … ;-)

59. my listener.ora file working now please see below is the correct one.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
        (SID_DESC =
          (SID_NAME = XE)
          (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xyz.americas.dellcorp.net)(PORT = 1521))
          (ADDRESS=  (PROTOCOL = tcp)(HOST = 127.0.0.1)                    (PORT = 8080))

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

chiranjeevi

60. Thanks.

user

61. Worked 4 me too… Thank you Best Regards!!!

iOskr

62. Really Really thank so much…

I couldn’t solve this problem with my country website

u are so kindly…

nami

63. Great! Thanks a lot, this worked for me and the installation completed successfully.

Val Okafor

64. Hello,

Many thanks for this information. I tried twice to install this. The second time worked with this information. I just had to make the registry change listed above and then set the port for the Gwt_started shortcut error: http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 and it came up fine.

James

65. I just want to say thank you !! It worked !!

Tanveer

66. It worked to me.
    Thank you very much.

Regards.

Julian

67. Installed latest version today-
    got the same error with “Installer is unable to instantiate the file…..” as shown in screenshot.

However, appears message is only informational, as everything worked fine, like login etc

user1

68. That’s possible or a set of registry keys may be missing.

69. hi
    I have a problem connecting to the oracle db via the sql developer.I instaled the 11g xe 32 bit on a 64 win7 platform. when I triied to build a connection i get this message :

c:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\sever\bin\ocijdbcll.dll:can't load IA 32 bit dll on an AMD 64-bit platform.

this problem does’t occour when I use the sql command prompt.
    How can I fix it?

Josef

70. hi, I ve done anything in my power but nothing works.

I ve modify the registry, never found the Key_xe.reg so i ve renamed theo nly reg file in the temp directory in this name. I have no response rom the 12.0.0.1:8080/apex
    and also when i try the sql command with connect it says always the same:

ORA-01089: immediate shutdown IN progress - no operations are permitted

there are two services running in the services.msc from oracle so i don’ tknow what else to try… any idea?

win7 64 bits of course

charles

71. I suspect that you need to configure SQL Developer.

72. ow, seems strange to me because i didn t need to do that with the version 10 and I just want to do the same thingthan with tthe version 10: make my exercises about database.
    I will try to do what you said.

charles

73. Let me know it fixes the problem.

74. okay i’ve tried, the installation of sql developer works great. the web interface doesn t work. i vre tried to connect with the sql line command: error ORA-01034 : oracle not available + ORA-27101 : shared memory realm does not exist

if I try to conenct with sql developer I have : Status : Failure -Test failed: Listener refused the connection with the following error:

ORA-12505 TNS:listener does NOT currently know OF SID given IN CONNECT descriptor

charles

75. is that normal that i can’t have access to the web interface of the express application?

charles

76. The sqlplus command-line error generally means that the instance isn’t running. You can connect using the operating system credential by opening a command shell and running the following command:

sqlplus / AS SYSDBA

After you connect, you can start the instance with the following command in SQL*Plus:

startup

The ORA-01034 error typically occurs because laptops go into hibernation and Oracle expects the natural uninterrupted up-time of a server. The ORA-12505 error occurs when the listener isn’t running. Hope this helps.

77. You may want to check this old APEX 4.0 instance.

78. man, i’m lost…. Where do I have to enter that? what s the problem in fact? the database cannot start ?

charles

79. It’s expanded to qualify where you type the command. As to what the problem is in your case, all that I can do is tell you generally what may cause the problem. After you try to restart the instance, let me know what happens.

80. sorry if I seem a bit stressed. It’s exhausting my intellectual ressources :p
    Can we start again ? so I ve installed the express application then try the resolution then installed the sql developper program. But I wanted just to trun the express application like I did with the 10g version (who worked perfectly at the time).

My toughts about the problem was that the database cannot run and so the express application too… but I may be wrong… (it was based on the experience of others who hasn’t need the sql developper.
    Am I right?
    But If I understand correctly what you said, I have to create a link between the sql developper and the database of the express application?

charles

81. HI,
    I have installed oracle 11g express edition on windows 7 64 bit.I got the KEY error during installation but i ignored it. The product got installed.It worked well for couple of days. But Now i am getting the error:
    Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 127.0.0.1:8080
    I have started all the oracle realted service.when i am trying to connect through SQL command line it gives TNS ORA 12154 error.

please provide the solution. as i need the data stored in the database. I have all forum but the solution did not work for me.

thanks

ritesh bajaj

82. Now i have re-installed the oracle database with the REG key changes t. Also the installation has finished but again the same error.

ritesh bajaj

83. I can’t say whether you’re right or not. I’ve got a few questions.

Assumptions: You’re upgrading from Oracle 10g XE to 11g XE. You are installing a fresh sample database. You need to connect to the APEX account. If any assumption is wrong, let me know.

Questions:

- Did the database install correctly?
    - Can you connect as the SYSTEM user to the database using the command-line SQL*Plus interface?
    - You can’t connect to the APEX instance, and need instructions to troubleshoot the APEX installation?

Thanks,

84. Ritesh, You can’t get to the APEX engine, right? Can you connect as the SYSTEM user from the command-line SQL*Plus environment?

85. Since you have data in the database, I assume that while you reinstalled the database you never deleted the database files. Is that correct?

If so, the same incongruity exists in the data files that was obstructing your APEX connection. Question, …. is the data you have in the database inside the APEX development workspace or some other database?

86. 1)nI m not upgrading from 10g to 11g. i m installing fresh 11g.

2) During first time the installation did not finish complete but closed the installation and oracle was working fine.but after two days it stopped working giving the error.

3) I re-installed it using info in your blog with the key changes & installation finished well.But i m not able to connect to http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 giving error “This webpage is not available
    The connection to 127.0.0.1 was interrupted.”

4)I m not able to connect through SQL commmand line giving error “ORA-12154: TNS could not reslove the content indentifier specfied”

5) since i have deleted all the previous oracle contents i have lost the data. Also the content was in the apex development workspace.

Thanks

ritesh bajaj

87. is it because i have used symbol “@” in my password. I have read this in one of the Oracle forum.

ritesh bajaj

88. That certainly explains it.

89. what does this means??????

if “@” symbol is the problem then How do i change the password for SYS user through SQL command Line.??

thanks

ritesh bajaj

90. You should be able to sign on with the operating credentials, like this from a command line shell (DOS):

sqlplus / AS sysdba

At the SQL prompt type these two commands with a conforming password (starting with a letter and using letters, numbers, or underscores):

SQL> ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY password;
    SQL> ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY password;

It likely means none of the APEX configuration occurred.

91. thanks , i now been able to connect through sql command line.

The connection to 127.0.0.1 was interrupted.”

Is this because port 8080 is not listening?
    Also my computer Ip keeps on changing.

thks

ritesh bajaj

92. This is just a guess but the lack of a correct password probably means it wasn’t configured correctly during the installation. The choices are troubleshooting it, or re-installing since you know the problem. I’m inclined toward the latter as the best course for you.

93. I have re-installed it with a simple password.

But again i m not able to connect to http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 giving error “This webpage is not available
    The connection to 127.0.0.1 was interrupted.”

thanks

ritesh bajaj

94. I have been trying all of the different combinations without success. I am installing 11.2 on a Windows 7 64 system. I have tried the regedit approach as well as renaming the file approach prior to advancing the install. However it never appears that my system never recognizes the tnslistener for XE.

Here is the output of my status:

STATUS OF the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias                     LISTENER
    Version                   TNSLSNR FOR 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production START DATE     16-OCT-2012 13:30:53
    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 8 MIN. 34 sec
    Trace Level               off
    Security                  ON: LOCAL OS Authentication
    SNMP                      OFF
    DEFAULT Service           XE
    Listener Parameter File   C:\OracleExpress\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\network\admin\listener.ora
    Listener Log File         C:\OracleExpress\oraclexe\app\oracle\diag\tnslsnr\BUTASH1\listener\alert\log.xml
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1ipc)))
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
    Services Summary...
    Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "CLRExtProc", STATUS UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
      Instance "PLSExtProc", STATUS UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) FOR this service...
    The command completed successfully

Here is the top portion of my host file:

127.0.0.1       localhost
    127.0.0.1       BUTASH1.americas.hpqcorp.net

Note the second line did not exist prior to trying to problem solve this issue.

Here is my listener.ora file:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
      (SID_LIST =
        (SID_DESC =
          (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
          (ORACLE_HOME = C:\OracleExpress\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
          (PROGRAM = extproc)
        (SID_DESC =
          (SID_NAME = CLRExtProc)
          (ORACLE_HOME = C:\OracleExpress\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server)
          (PROGRAM = extproc)

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
        (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = BUTASH1.americas.hpqcorp.net)(PORT = 1521))

DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)

Any help would be greatly appreciated…have been spinning my wheels for some time now.

Thanks in advance!!!

butash

95. Did you use the tnsping utility?

tnsping xe

Is the hostname uppercase? You can find it by running the following command.

hostname

If so, try changing the host file by including the hostname before the qualified hostname:

127.0.0.1       BUTASHI BUTASH1.americas.hpqcorp.net

If all that works, please shutdown the database and listener; and try validating the 8080 port with a Perl socket. This validates that there’s not something interfering with the communication.

You can also

XE =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost)(PORT = 1521))
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = xe.localdomain)

96. Thank you so much…the changes you recommended worked.

It was the entry in the tnsnames file, the final recommendation that ended up doing the trick. But I followed the other steps as well so it might have been both the host entry as well as the change to the tnsnames file.

Thanks again!!!

butash

97. [...] In case of GUI installation please follow this link. [...]

98. Thanks all for your work.

The whole thing failed on Win-64 because of a missing key. Shame on Oracle (what a joke).

Rob

99. Hi! I’m trying to install the Oracle Database Express Edition 11g Release 2 on a Windows 7 64x following the instructions above, but the page http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 isn’t showing, so I tried reinstalling, but without success. I tried to install following the maclochlainn method, and after I tried the Eder method, but both installations didn’t work for me.
    Maybe it’s because I’m trying to install the Release 2 edition… any idea of how can make it work?

Milene

100. Milene,

You need to provide more detail about the failure. Also, during a re-install make sure you uninstall the software using the Add/Remove Programs option; and that you manually remove files that aren’t cleaned up by Windows Add/Remove Program option.

Ideally, you should make a registry copy before the install and restore the pre-install registry. Oracle doesn’t uninstall all registry keys.

101. Thanks for the reply! =]

Well, I’m removing the software by the CCleaner, and after there are some empty folders that keep existing in the C:\oraclexe folder that I manually remove.

I don’t know how to make a registry copy before the install, how can I do that?
    But, after all the install/remove I did, the registry is lost, right? Now I just can recover it if i reinstall the Windows operational system?
    If so, I have a problem, cause it’s the company pc and I can’t reinstall the Windows operation system by myself.

More info about the failure, let’s see, I unzip the DISK1 to my desktop and run the setup.exe.
    I make the installation using the default location, and as I am using the Windows 7 64x that pop up error of “The installer is unable to instantiate the file…” does appear during the installation.
    When it happens I do all the registry change things, like you said above, I open the regedit, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Installer -> Products -> 266B7A503A089BE4EAD1986A429434C1 -> SorceList -> Media and change the “1″ value data to C:\Users\mtoda\AppData\Local\Temp\{EF28066A-F707-4A2F-8913-B24DF3A067D1} and then I proceed the installation clicking on OK on the pop up. So the installation finishes with success.
    But, when I try to open the Get Start page (http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950), it just open a page with “Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 127.0.0.1:8080″. So, idk what I’m missing…

One more thing, when I run the “Start database” appears the message:
    The OracleServiceXE service is starting.
    The OracleServiceXE service was started successfully.

And if I run the “Stop Database” appears the message:
    net stop OracleServiceXE
    The OracleServiceXE service is stopping.
    The OracleServiceXE service was stopped successfully.

So I think maybe the database is working, but can the database work even if that Get Start page doesn’t?

Well, I think that’s it.

Milene

102. It sounds like the database installed correctly, and is working. The problem appears to be APEX from your description but could you check a couple things to make sure. Open a command shell and run this command with the password you created during the installation:

sqlplus system/your_password

Then, run this one with the TNS network alias:

sqlplus system/your_password@xe

If the first succeeded but second failed, please run this command:

tnsping xe

If that fails, please install Perl and test the viability of socket communication by using the sample files in this Perl socket example. Let me know what worked and didn’t work.

103. Hi! I followed the instructions as follow:
    I opened a cmd and typed sqlplus system/my_password, but it showed a message:

'sqlpus' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I don’t know what is TNS network alias, so I didn’t run the second command.

So, I installed Perl and tested the socket communication using those socket examples and it worked. The “Hello there!” message showed up.

What else can I do now?

Milene

104. Thanks for the solution. It worked. But I have so far successfully installed oracle server,but when I run the command:

C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server\bin> lsnrctl status

I get ‘gt’ is not recognized as internal or external command operable program and batch file.

I have to confirm that Is there anything I might have escaped, might cause an error in futue in further progress.

Ruba

105. If the command was copied from the web, it’s possible that the “gt” code be a substitution for the greater than symbol. Is that possible?

106. The sqlplus executable isn’t found, which means Oracle didn’t install or at least it failed to configure your system %PATH% variable. Please search for the sqlplus.exe in your operating system to see if it’s installed.

The TNS network alias is the short string that let’s you navigate levels 5, 6, and 7 of the OSI stack using Oracle’s Transparent Network Substrate (TNS).

107. The sqlplus.exe is in the path C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN.

Milene

108. Try running this command:

C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN\sqlplus system/your_password

Then, if that works repeat with this if it’s the TNS alias in your tnsnames.ora file.

C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN\sqlplus system/your_password@orcl

109. I run the command: C:\Oracle\rcuHome\BIN\sqlplus system/your_password

And I got this message: “Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
    Message file sp1.msb not found
    SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory”

So I searched how to solve this problem, and I tried to set the %ORACLE_HOME% variable. When I tried to run the first command again a pop up showed up with the message:

Message file UTILITY_MSG\spw.msb not found!

So, I think the varisble is still incorrect.

Milene

110. Milene, It’s possible that the %ORACLE_HOME%, %ORACLE_SID%, or %ORACLE_UNQNAME% are incorrect. The error means that the executable wanted to throw and exception but couldn’t find the file that contains error message in your installed language.

It’s best to set these in a batch file, oraenv.bat, like this:

REM SET Oracle Environment VARIABLES manually.
    SET ORACLE_HOSTNAME=localhost
    SET ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\rcuHome
    SET ORACLE_SID=orcl
    SET ORACLE_UNQNAME=orcl

REM ADD Oracle's binary path to system path.
    SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

Then, retry the post. That rules out whether or not it’s environment path items. Although, it does appear you have an incomplete installation.

111. i followed the step provided by YASSIN but my problem is not resolved.
    i’m getting the same error msg KEY_XE.rg is not available

avinash

112. Avinash, The registry error differs from install to install, which means you have to capture and repair the key value pair affected by your installation.

113. maclochlainn, thanks for the help.

I couldn’t complete the installation because I’m not working anymore at the corporation. But I passed your blog to the project team so they can continue the work.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience and thanks again.

Milene

114. [...] In case of GUI installation please follow this link. [...]

115. I am also facing the same problem “error msg KEY_XE.rg is not available”. Can anybody help me out in this.
    Thanks in advance.. :)

Neha

116. Hi, I am also facing the same error msg KEY_XE.rg is not available. Can anybody please help me out.

neha

117. This worked for me by following the steps mentioned at the beginning of the post by Mclaugh.

- Installed XE 11g 32 bit on Windows 7 64 bit
    - Got the same pop up KEY_XE error. Fixed by adding the value in regedit (- HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\266B7A503A089BE4EAD1986A429434C1\SourceList\Media).

added value to REG_SZ –> C:\Users\hostname\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\

- Added local machine IP address in host file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)
    - After installation, I was able to start DB from start menu (http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950:1:1816303992624411)
    - Tested DB connection using cmd SQLPLUS.
    - Installed Oracle client
    - Installed Toad
    - Added TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME path in environment variable.

Hope this helps!

Kiran

118. hi friends,
    I follow this step by step

C:\Users\MRK\AppData\Local\Temp\{078E83D7-3FCC-4A72-903B-995C7CE44681}\

but, I stay problem with this …
    I got this message :

” Windows cannot find ‘http://127.0.0.1:%HTTPPROT%/apex/f?p=4950′. Make sure you typed tha name correctly, and try again. ”

what I do now ?

Sonia

119. This failure means that the XDB Server didn’t get configured during the install. You can manually install it.

120. Works great! Saved me hours of headache. Thanks!

Simon

121. Thanks for the post, this was very helpful.

Jeff

122. Hi!

After to do step by step all the solutions expones in the post, the error acceding to the url http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex/f?p=4950 still remained.

Finally, I solved the problem changing the ip “127.0.0.1″ by “localhost” in the url:

I hope this help you!!

Pablo

123. Did you configure your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host file before installing? You can check Step #4 from this post for the target values (you typically only need the first three with DHCP configurations), but it should be done before installation because it opt to use the hostname or IP address (some values stored in database tables).

124. hi maclochlainn,

I’m to re-intall again due I got an error tring to connect to XE listener althougt the ‘lsnrctl status’ command is ok. In addiction after reboot the appex url does not works. I have a static IP 192.168.1.129 in my computer. Which values suggest me in the host system file? my pc name is My-PC.

Is necessary copy the KEY_XE.reg fily to the temp installation directoty or just change the registry key?

Thanks!!

Pablo

125. It depends how it fails, and you just have to adjust to the registry key that fails.

126. Great it is also working on Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center

Zakir

127. Thanks Change in Registry Setting worked for me. i am using Windows 7 64 Bit Machine

Sam

128. Hi all,

I had the same problem as most of you with the XE TNS Listener, and here is how I fixed it.

After many failed instalations, I finally discovered that there is an IMPORTANT REQUIREMENT for the listener to be succesfully configured during the installation :

- The administrative share for C$ has to be enabled.

In my case I forget that I have previously disabled the administrative shares for security reasons, so I had to restore the administrative share for C$.

Here you can find how to create administrative share for C$ -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314984

Ensure that it works -> Open \\yourhostname\c$

Then you can follow the installation steps provided by Eder :

1. Start the installer ‘Setup.exe’. Wait until asked about the path.
    2. Do not press next. Open with Windows Explorer the folder like this:

C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp{60712028-B7B0-4EC3-9C28-663111EC954A}

4. Go to the installer and go ahead with the installation.

You will not see any error about the KEY_XE.reg not found.

To fix the APEX URL :
    1. Go to C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\11.2.0\server
    2. Click over the file Get_Started and choose properties
    3. There change the %HTTPPORT% for you port, usually 8080, will be like this:

That was all I had to do and everything is working well (sqlplus, SQL Developer, and APEX).

Thanks to Eder and maclochlainn.

Salim CHERIF

129. Brilliant!!!
    Thanks for posting this solution. It worked :)

Paras Duneja

130. I want to change my host name and port number in tnsnames.ora file by notepad but it shows Access is denied.. Pls tell me the solution pls

Roger

131. I followed the instructions but when the installation goes “configuring database” then the installation just stalls there forever, is there a fix for this?

Sergio

132. Open the file by right clicking on it, as Administrator, and you should be able to change the file. You’ve got UAC running in your Windows environment, and that restricts file access and editing to the Administrator account.

133. Choose to only install the server and then manually launch the DBCA utility. Most likely that’s where there’s an error.

134. Fantastic notes here. Just so everyone knows, I tried this in Windows 8 x64 (with install files of x32) and it worked. Thanks to all.

gnans

135. thank you things worked out right please answer using screenshots that is really easy to understand

kedar