Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7

Here are step-by-step instructions for installing Oracle Database 11g Release 2 on Windows 7 (Oracle 12c is here). It’s provided in response to questions posted on my step-by-step instructions for installing Oracle 11gR1 on Windows 7. For reference, I posted the former because it didn’t work without intervention. I hadn’t updated step-by-step instructions because Oracle Database 11g Release 2 has always worked for me when installing on Windows 7.

A number of students and blog readers have mentioned that it didn’t work for them. My guess is that they had configuration issues within the Windows 7 environment. There are some Windows 7 configuration caveats before you perform this installation, and they are:

Windows 7 Configuration Steps

1. Make sure you have at least 3 GB of memory on your Windows PC, or that you can allocate 4 GB of memory to your virtual machine (the latter typically requires 8 GB of real memory to avoid extensive disk caching of memory).
  2. Install Oracle’s SJDK and run time for Java 6 or 7 on Windows 7 (I installed Java 7). Although either work with the database, you need the Java 6 SDK 32-bit version (at least SJDK 1.6.0_4) for Oracle SQL Developer. This means you need to download the 32-bit version even when you’re installing the 64-bit Oracle Database 11g version. The SQL Developer fix is found in this blog post.
  3. Disable Microsoft’s User Access Controls (UAC). I blogged about a set of Windows 7 gripes, and the second point shows you the screen shots that let you disable UAC on Windows 7.
  4. Configure your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file. Use lines 1 through 3 when you’re using a DHCP IP address, and lines 1 through 4 when you’re using a static IP address. If you want to set a static IP address, check this old post on how to set a static IP address. Please note that the hostname needs to be lowercase.
127.0.0.1      localhost
::1            localhost
127.0.0.1      mclaughlinmysql mclaughlinmysql.techtinker.com
172.26.126.131 mclaughlinmysql mclaughlinmysql.techtinker.com
  1. Create a user account name that doesn’t have a white space, like McLaughlinM in the screen shots, and assign it Administrator privileges.
  2. The Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) uses port ranges above 5,000, which according to Microsoft requires that you set MaxUserPort key in the Windows Registry. You can find more details at this Microsoft Support page. Personally, I haven’t found this necessary and after adding it to please somebody without setting it everything ran fine in Windows 7.

Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Value Name MaxUserPort
Value Type DWORD
Value Data 65534
Value Range 5000-65534 (decimal)
Value Default 0×1388 (5000 decimal)
Description This parameter controls the maximum port number that is used when a program requests any available user port from the system. Typically, ephemeral (short-lived) ports are allocated between the values of 1024 and 5000 inclusive. After the release of security bulletin MS08-037, the behavior of Windows Server 2003 was changed to more closely match that of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista. For more information about Microsoft security bulletin MS08-037

Oracle 11g Release 2 Installation Steps

1. The Oracle Database 11g Release 2 files are broken down into two zip files on the Oracle site. That means you need to download both files, and then expand them into an installation directory. I called my installation directory C:\OracleInstall, but you can call it whatever works for you. Here’s a screen shot of the directory after expanding both compressed files (done with WinZip 15).
You should notice that the two expanded compressed files put everything into a database directory (or folder). Within the installation folder (C:\OracleInstall\database), you double click on the oui icon to launch (start) the Oracle Universal Installer. It’ll open a command prompt that may dwell on the screen for a few seconds up to maybe fifteen seconds.

1. It’s a good idea to provide an email address for security updates no matter what. You can uncheck the box if you don’t want updates via Oracle Support Services. Click the Next button to continue.

1. Most developers want to Create and configure a database. If that’s your desire, leave the default radio button checked. Click the Next button to continue.

1. Most developers install their test instance on a desktop or laptop. If that’s your desire, leave the default Desktop Class radio button checked. Click the Next button to continue.

1. These are default settings and generally the easiest to use. I’d suggest you change the Character Set drop down to Unicode. Then, enter a password twice. Oracle requires that you use at least one capital letter and one number in a 6 character or more long password. Click the Next button to continue.

1. The next screen is a progress bar that checks for prerequisites. You shouldn’t have to do anything here because it automatically advances you to the next dialog screen. This generally takes less than a minute to run but can take two or so. If you’re much beyond 3 minutes there may be a resource problem with your Windows PC or virtual machine.

1. This shows you all the selected values for the installation. Unless you want to abort the installation, click the Finish button to proceed.

1. This screen is the main progress bar, and you’ll be here somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes. The downside is that there are some dialogs that will popup during this phase and you need to authorize them, so it’s a bad time to take a break.

1. The first popup screen requires you to authorize the Java runtime to call home. You should click the Allow Access button to proceed.

1. When the progress bar starts configuring the instance, failures can occur. The first may occur during the network configuration, which typically happens if you didn’t preconfigure the hosts file. You don’t need to do anything but watch here unless the installer triggers an error.

1. The following progress bar is launched by the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant. It typically runs without a problem. You don’t need to do anything but watch here unless the installer triggers an error. This takes a few minutes, and unfortunately requires you to stick aroung to again authorize Java.

1. The second popup screen requires you to authorize the Java runtime to call home. You should click the Allow Access button to proceed.

1. The third and last popup screen asks you to whether you want to open other scheme. Generally, you should click the OK button to proceed.

1. The next dialog shows you that the network and database instances are configured. It’s also running the OEM (Oracle Enterprise Manager) installation. You can wait here but it won’t be a long wait.

1. This is the last dialog and says you’ve installed Oracle Database 11g Release 2 successfully. You can the Close button to complete the installation.

The next step is probably running Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM). I’ve recently added this post, which arose from a question. It shows you how to run the DB Console.

Also, it’s possible that you could have a problem launching SQL Developer. If so, check how to set the proper JVM for SQL Developer post.

As always, I hope this helps folks.

151 Responses to 'Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Oracle 11gR2 on Windows 7'.

1. [...] Oracle 11g Release 1 on Windows 7 [...]

2. Thanks a lot for putting this info out. It helped a lot.

vikash

3. Thanks a lot. It is very helpful.

Krishna

4. Thank you. It heped. There is one thing though, I had a problem with the path check. I got an error that said the length of the path specified was longer than 1026 or something. I tried to use different paths to no avail. I eventually saw the ‘ignore’ button and it worked. I am running win 7 on my laptop. Hope it helps somebody.

Joe

5. Great job! Works like a charm! Thank you!

Michal

6. If both different folder part1 and part2 is inserted inside one folder,does it display duplicate file or somehow it will need us to merge the files.Is it ok to proceed with that(merging the files)

shafiq

7. It merges them without duplicates.

8. Prerequisite checks failed even though there was ample space on my laptop. Installing oracle was unsuccessful. Please help

ash

9. Did any folder in the path have a white space?

10. Excellent instructions. Installed without any issues.
    Well, unitl I tried to launch SQL developer.

It is asking for userid/password but I dont remember creating any of those in the installation process.

Where might I have gone wrong ?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Ramesh

11. what should i exactly put on the host file?

127.0.0.1       localhost
    ::1             localhost
    127.0.0.1       Hisham-PC

Is that ok, or did i miss something?

Hisham

12. That should work.

13. Do I need a loopback adapter?

TracJone

14. Most OS configurations support loopback but it’s only necessary when you don’t have a network connection.

15. This should work, you could add the domain at the end of Hisham-PC hostname.

16. Thanks for the detailed steps.It really made my installation easy.

Neeta

17. [...] finally got around to installing Oracle 11g on Windows 7 Professional Edition, 64-bit (click here for Oracle 11g Release 2 on Windows 7). The only catch was that the Oracle 11g (11.1.0.7) installer validates only against Windows 5.0, [...]

18. Mr. Maclochlainn

I need to connect a C# application with an oracle database (it should preferably be on the same machine). Will this method of installation work for this purpose? And if so how what is the hostname and port etc when connecting to Oracle from the same machine?

Pete

19. Yes, and you should have something like this to connect C# to the Oracle database:

string connectionString = "Data Source=server.company.com;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=databaseUser;Password=userPassword;Unicode=True";

Check this for more detail on Oracle’s .NET support tutorial. Hope this is what you need.

20. [INS-08109] Unexpected error occurred while validating inputs at state ‘getOCMDetails’.

i got the this type of error please help mehowcan i install

siva sankar

21. That’s new, where did the error occur?

22. Excellent notes

Ramana Chittoor

when i am installing oracle 11g it is showing below error.
    ‘OUI-10151 there was an error while loading library:globalVarqueries’
    Could you please help to resolve that issue.

Magu

24. What version of the Windows OS?

25. Hi
    I have installed Oracle database11g R2 on Windows7.
    When I try to login SQL*plus with username/password- scott/tiger it prompts an error

ORA-28000: The account is locked.

Please help me.

sudhni

26. ,

By default, the user SCOTT is locked, you need to unlock it.

SQL> CONNECT sys / AS sysdba
    Password: give_the_password

Once connected as SYS enter the following command

ALTER USER scott IDENTIFIED BY tiger account UNLOCK;

Now login using the SCOTT account. :)

Azmat Zaheer

27. After successful installtion when I am trying to login using global database as: orcl, and giving the specified password it shows wrong user/password. Using scott it shows account locked, is there a way to retrive the password or unlock the scott user.I believe I should use user as : orcl.

Andy

28. Andy,

You should be able to connect as the user that installed the database with the following syntax:

sqlplus / AS sysdba

Then, you can change the SYSTEM password with this command:

ALTER USER system IDENTIFIED BY password;

You can unlock the account with the following syntax:

ALTER USER scott ACCOUNT UNLOCK;

Hope this helps you.

29. Je suis debutant , j’ai installé oracle Database 11g Release2. Priere de me guider comment proceder à oracle?

Hassan

30. hello sir..
    While am installing oracle 11g it shows fatal error after gave password and click next button checking process is going then it shows this error

K.Sathiya

31. while am entering password also it show it does not match admin password error

K.Sathiya

32. I’m not sure from your note where you encountered the problem. Did it occur during the installation? Did it occur after the installation? What was the specific error message you received?

33. Is the process of Installation of Oracle 11g R1 will be same, when we are using Oracle enterprise Linux 4.6 version by using VMware 6.5 on Win 7–64 bit Laptop ??

I mean here in the above forum u mentioned the “Windows 7 Configuration Steps”. Shall I make the change to the O.S. Because i too faces the same Networking errors at the time of Prerequisites check of Oracle 11g R1..It is giving as 1 error with 2 warnings.

Kindly support me in this regards !!

Nawaz

34. Yes, you’ll need to set those up. Also, you may want to refer to this following article on VMWare DHCP settings.

35. I have installed the Oracle 11gR2 on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit laptop with the “Install Database Software” option

Afterwards I try to Add a database and I keep running into the same error.

ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
    ORA-04031: unable TO allocate 4096 bytes OF shared memory ("java pool","unknown object","JOXLE^aa858fc1",":SGAClass")
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_JAVA", line 655
    ORA-06512: at line 1

Any thoughts?

travers

36. What’s the physical RAM on your laptop?

37. Sir,

If I install the 11g client as described by you and unlock the SCOTT user, will I be able to practice SQL without having to connect to a database server?

I am assuming that this installation comes with some sample databases that will help me practice SQL for self study.

A client program alone doesnt help me as I have no servers to connect to.

Kiran

38. Yes, the installation instructions generally have you create a copy of the sample database, and you can unlock the SCOTT schema if you’d like to work in it.

39. it helped me. thanks a lot…God bless

dhars

40. You guys are realy doing a nice job

Stanley

41. can i run the isql*plus i.e, the browser or gui version as it is for em on port:1158
    as in 10g

kc

42. iSQL is deprecated with the Oracle 11g. For example, check page XIV-XV of the Oracle Real Application Clusters Installation Guiide 11g Release 1 (b28251.pdf). Try Oracle Application Express (APEX), which is the replacement.

43. I have a problem that no one seems to address on any forum. I run with windows 7 64 bit, i7 intel processor, and 16 GB ram.

I download both release 2 zips off oracle site.

I create C:\Oracle

I place “1of2″ database folder here, but where do you place “2of2″ database folder? I notice a under stage, then components, and then there is the rest of the oracle goo. so I place it in the “1of1″ folder under the stage/components folder.

the installer starts up and I enter email and eleact NOT to get updates from oracle, choose create the database, on the personal laptop check box and the installer breaks with no warning or error message.

if I choose to only install the database files option it breaks during validation.

in other words the installer simply quites…

Has anyone seen this issue before?

any help would be appreciated.

Josefina

44. both the zip files(1 of 2 & 2 of 2) should be in the same folder and both of them should be extracted using the
    option ‘extract here’. You will see a new folder named ‘database’. Once the extraction is complete, open the folder and execute ‘setup’.

alex

45. After I select Desktop Class and click Next, the installer closes automatically.

I am using W7 x64 Ultimate as administrator.
    Intel Dual Core 2.8GHz
    6GB RAM
    8+11GB free HDD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 (2GB) Display adapter
    1366X768 resolution
    BSNL EV-DO USB internet

Can you please tell me what is wrong and what should I do?

Arka

46. Is Java installed?

47. [...] it means that it can’t find a 32-bit Java 5 or Java 6 (1.6.0_4+) SDK home [...]

Post Install Step

48. sir i downloaded the win64 11g R2 client file fr0m oracle website..i am not able to open sql.i am getting tns adapter protocol error.pls help me sir

iswarya dev

49. WHEN I WAS INSTALING 11G USERNAME:ORCL
    PSWRD:TIGER IS GIVEN
    BT IT WAS OPEN IN MOZILA UR USERNAME/PASWRD IS DENIED
    HOW SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

RAM

50. The SYSTEM user is the default user that you created during the install. If you assigned a password of tiger, then use SYSTEM and tiger as the credentials.

51. Very helpful, Thank you very much.

Chinna

52. I wish to point out a small error in your otherwise very good tutorial. In this sentence “Within that folder, you double click on the oui icon to launch ..” you forgot to metntion the folder database/install inside which the oui file is located.
    Very good tutorial. I think it will save my life.

ilango gurusamy

53. Thanks, I made a change that restates the actual directory. Hope it helps.

54. Yes, it does. Thanks for making the change.

ilango gurusamy

55. I reach a step which says that “checks for prerequisites”. After that the complete installation window goes away without any message. I dont know why this is happening

jitender

56. I have forgotten the password I set up in Oracle.
    Now when I do: sqlplus system@orcl, it asks me to enter a password and I am not able to supply it the right password.
    It seems other people had the same problem here, so I went through their comments and your responses.
    So, what is the syntax to connect as SYSDBA? I apologize in advance and thanks for the help.

57. On Windows, you should be able to connect without the password using hostname resolution. Connect from a command shell as the user who installed the Oracle database, like

sqlplus / AS sysdba

Then, you should be able to change the password for SYSTEM with this syntax:

ALTER USER system IDENTIFIED BY new_password;

58. Okay, so I managed to login using global database username orcl.

59. Thank you for your timely help

60. Hi
    I have written up all a document detailing all the steps I took based on your tutorial. To keep a record of it, I have bookmarked your site. Also, I would like to post it on my blog. I would like to properly reference your help in that post. Is that okay with you?

61. Yes, but let me know if you found something that you feel is missing?

62. hi..

should i have to click, oui button in install folder or the setup..

and i have a problem.

after entering my email i am not cheking the box next to email. and then after clicking next i am getting to enter the proxy username and proxy password.
    i dont understand what are those?

could you please help me with these

Daram

63. You shouldn’t enter or enable email unless you have an SMTP mail server; likewise proxy settings aren’t necessary unless you’re trying to let the database connect with Oracle support.

64. hello sir, thanks for ur previous help.

I m getting an error while connecting my java program with tupe1 ie ODBC driver driver..it gives following error msg…

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]
    The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application java.lang.NullPointerException

Bhupesh

65. You would need to provide a code source.

66. Generally, this type of error means you’re using a DSN that’s not designed to support what you want to perform. Can you tell me the target (Oracle database?) and which Microsoft Windows DSN you’re using?

Also, you may want to take a look at this post that shows how you configure the Oracle ODBC as a DSN.

67. ok this is source code..

import java.sql.*;
    class  Rsdemo1
    {
      public static void main(String[] args)
      {
        try
        {
          Class.forName("sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver");
          Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:orac","system","shree");

System.out.println("emp1 table......");

{
          System.out.println(e);
        }
        System.out.println("Hello World!");
      }
    }

orac” is the DSN name which i include in System DSN.
    i have oracle 11g installed…i choose ‘Microsoft ODBC for Oracle’ driver to configure System DSN “orac”.

Bhupesh

68. I’m not sure why you’re trying to use Java to connect through the ODBC. They’re not compatible. Try this:

try {
          // Load driver, initialize connection, metadata and statement..
          DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
          Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:oracle:thin:@" +
                              host + ":" + port + ":" + dbname, userid, passwd);
          DatabaseMetaData dmd = conn.getMetaData();
          Statement stmt = conn.createStatement();

// Declare result set, initialize dataset and close result set.
          ResultSet rset = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM " + table);
          while (rset.next())
            dataset = new Object[rset.getInt(1) + 1][];
          rset.close();

// Reusing result set and get result set metadata.
          rset = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT * FROM " + table);
          ResultSetMetaData rsmd = rset.getMetaData();

// Declare row counter.
          int row = 0;

// Assign array sizes.
          dataset[row] = new Object[rsmd.getColumnCount()];
          datatype = new String[rsmd.getColumnCount()];

// Assign column labels and types.
          for (int col = 0;col < rsmd.getColumnCount();col++) {
            dataset[row][col] = rsmd.getColumnName(col + 1);
            datatype[col] = rsmd.getColumnTypeName(col + 1); }

// Size nested arrays and assign column values for rows.
          while (rset.next()) {
            dataset[++row] = new Object[rsmd.getColumnCount()];
            for (int col = 0;col < rsmd.getColumnCount();col++)
              if (datatype[col] == "DATE")
                dataset[row][col] = rset.getDate(col + 1);
              else if (datatype[col] == "NUMBER")
                dataset[row][col] = rset.getLong(col + 1);
              else if (datatype[col] == "VARCHAR2")
                dataset[row][col] = rset.getString(col + 1); }

// Set query return size.
          querySize = row;

// Close resources.
          rset.close();
          stmt.close();
          conn.close();

// Return data.
          return dataset; }
        catch (SQLException e) {
          // Check for and return connection error or SQL error.
          if (e.getSQLState() == null) {
            System.out.println(
              new SQLException("Oracle Thin Client Net8 Connection Error.",
                               "ORA-" + e.getErrorCode() +
                               ": Incorrect Net8 thin client arguments:\n\n" +
                               "  host name     [" + host + "]\n" +
                               "  port number   [" + port + "]\n" +
                               "  database name [" + dbname + "]\n"
                               , e.getErrorCode()).getSQLState());
            return dataset; }

69. [...] a look at the two blogs to see if you've missed something: Install Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows 7 | MacLochlainns Weblog How to configure and run Oracle 11gR2 DB Console (OEM) | MacLochlainns Weblog [...]

70. The next screen is a progress bar that
    checks for prerequisites.
    I am trying to install 11g on my laptop and when I get to
    this step, the progress bar get to 100% and stop there.
    and it does not do anything. it just freez at that point.
    I tried it few times and the same thing happens I am newbe to oracle and I need help I just can’t figure why it is doing this??
    can you help me

zuheir

71. I installed oracle 11g on my system( lenovo pc 3gb ram win 7 ultimate 64 bit) last week and it is working fine. when i am trying to install the same copy of oracle on my friend’s laptop ( dell inspiron 4gb ram, windows 7 home basic 64 bit and has java 7 installed), earlier it was showing failure during prerequisite check. i changed its property to run as an administrator. now when i double click it or run as an administrator, the oracle installation window comes and goes in a flash. I tried with a fresh copy of oracle but still the same problem persists.
    I am unable to figure out whether it is a compatibility issue or something else.
    please help.

aman

72. It’s most likely a registry value or incompatible JDK, and I suspect Java based on your description of the problem. Try Java 6.

73. I successfully loaded the database but want to view it in TOAD. Where do I find the host and port numbers. I am unable to find a tnsnames file for the installation

Linda

74. I got past the host and port numbers but when attempting to log in, cannot log in as sys with the password that I assigned. Where was the default username assigned?

Linda

75. never mind, I figured it out. Great site though!

Linda

76. It’s in your %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin directory. The Oracle home path is typically C:\app\product\11.2.0\oracle\server.

77. Sign on as SYSTEM, which is normal. You need to connect AS SYSDBA when using the SYS user.

78. sir I am trying to install oracle 11g database.I am getting error in 7th step.It showing as file not found.Please help me.

P.Deepthi Yadav

79. You mean that you’re getting an error during the installation before you get to the summary page, or that a missing file error occurs on the summary page? If the latter is true could you provide more information on the error, like the full text.

80. Hi. Great Tutorial. I’ve followed everything so far, and the first screen that i get after I put in my e-mail, is that it’s asking for proxy information. and there is a checkbox that says ignore critical security issues in my configuration. I’m using MS loopback adapter trying to install it on my local laptop. And the laptop fits all the prerequisites. Much help will be appreaciated. Thanks!!

Kenny

81. I’d need more information from the log files to understand what’s presenting as an issue. Can you look in the log file and post it?

82. Sir, I am trying to install oracle database 11gR2 on my Window 7 64 bit machine. I’m having trouble at step 4. After I leave the default “Desktop Class” radio button checked and click the “Next” button the window just disappears and the next step window never shows up. I tried many times and the same thing happens. Could you please help me ? Thank you so much !

Lee

83. I am trying to install oracle 11g on my 32bit windows 7 1gb ram laptop, but when i click on the extraction file,it says the file directory could not be created.

jihdeh

84. Do you have Administrator privileges? What folder are you trying to extract from and to? How much available disk space do you have?

85. In Step-4 , i select Desktop class then when i click next installation get struck and stoped its not going for step 5

srvnn

86. I noticed from your instructions that the 32-bit version of the JRE must be installed, but my computer already has the 64-bit version of JRE and JDK 6 installed. Do I need to uninstall them or can both version be installed in parallel? I am currently working with the existing configuration for some Java training, I am hoping I don’t need to undo all of that…

Dave

87. You can have both installed. You just need the 32-bit version during installation to ensure correct SQL*Developer install. Check this post on configuring the JVM.

88. Thanks a bunch for the answer, I’ll be trying this out later today. The instructions look great, I feel pretty confident after reading them.

Dave

89. Hi MacLochlainn,

First of all, thanks for the time you give to support us.

I’ve been trying to install Oracle on my laptop with no luck. I need your help if you can. I have a 64bit, Windows 7 Home Premium.

The Installation seems to go smoothly, until I reach the db creation stage, where the DBCA is creating and starting the database. It stops at 85% and asks me to perform some steps:

1) Set the environment variable ORACLE_SID to orcl
    2) F:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\e mctl.bat stop dbconsole
    3) F:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\e mctl.bat config emkey -repos -sysman_pwd
    4) F:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\e mctl.bat secure dbconsole -sysman_pwd
    5) F:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\e mctl.bat start dbconsole
    To secure Em Key, run F:\app\Administrator\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\e mctl.bat config emkey -remove_from_repos -sysman_pwd Provisioning archives deployment failed. Please deploy it manually.

First, I’d like to know, why did that happen?

Secondly, when I tried emctl.bat stop dbconsole, it didn’t work, because the files that the command was looking for, were supposed to have my computer’s name, while the installation created them with 'localhost'. I therefore had to set the hostname to localhost, it seems like it was set to my computer’s name. Could that be the problem?

Third, when I reached the third step, it kept giving me an “Invalid Password” response, though the password I entered was correct. I tried to login sqlplus it worked. Any ideas on how I can move forward?

Really hope to get this done. HELP

terence

90. Terrence, Some folks have gotten it to work on Windows 7 Home, but generally Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate is required.

It appears that #1 is stopping anything that may have been running, and the failure occurred running mctl.bat file to configure, secure, and start the dbconsole. Failure at this point, typically centers on two areas – networking libraries or Java. I suspect that since you’re running Windows 7 Home that it may be networking libraries that aren’t shipped with the Windows 7 Home distribution (some vendor configurations vary and include them).

I’d rule out some misconfiguration of the Windows 7 OS first. You can do that by using the Perl socket example. If that works, you may repeat those steps but I believe you’ll need to set the %ORACLE_UNQNAME% environment variable too. This other post may help you with that.

91. Hello again Maclochlain,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I just finished running the socket code you asked me to try. When I ran both the server.pl and client.pl using Active Perl, I got the output “Hello There” in the server.pl command line.

The only thing I changed in the code you provided was to change mclaughlinmysql to my computer’s name. I didn’t know if I should change the ports as well. When I changed the ports to 1158 and then later to 1521 (Because I see these being used in the EM) I got the message “Could not create socket: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.”

What should be my next step?

Terence

92. Hello Maclochlainn,

Do you know anyone who managed to install Oracle on Windows 7 Home Premium?

I’d like to ask them if they can help me.

Terence

93. Unfortunately, I don’t have somebody to refer you to.

94. Thanks. You know, the funny thing is, Listener is running, agent is running, instance is open, but em can’t connect to instance. Any ideas?

Terence

95. What your hostname? Is it all lowercase or mixed case?

96. hostname is computer name. it’s ‘vu’, all lowercase

Terence

97. worked really fine. Thanks

swagat

98. Sir,

“After I select Desktop Class and click Next, the installer closes automatically.”

On the error log, it says the following (I’ve replaced my actual user name with “username”)

Using paramFile: C:\OracleInstall\database\install\oraparam.ini

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors.    Actual 4294967296    Passed

The commandline for unzip:
    C:\OracleInstall\database\install\unzip -qqqo ..\stage\Components\oracle.jdk\1.5.0.17.04\1\DataFiles/"*.jar" -d "C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Temp\OraInstall2012-12-19_08-56-21PM"

I checked the program files, I’ve installed the Java 7 Update 9, JAVA 7 Update (64 bit) , JAVA SE Development kit 7 update 9 ( 64 bit), and JAVA (TM) 7 (64-bit)

I’d appreciate your help.

Thanks,

– Reira

Reira

99. Try installing Java 6, which can co-exist. Let me know if it fixes it.

100. Thanks Sir Michael. I’m enjoying your education here.
    I use toad for oracle, not sql developer, though I don’t have any problem switching to it if i have to. since i don’t use sql developer, do i still need to install the java SDK? if yes, please explain why?. I will install oracle business intelligence publisher 11g to automate some complex reports on multiple excel sheets per report.
    Hope to hear from you
    Rex

Rex

101. Rex, I don’t know because it’s a variation that I’ve not tested. What’s the objection to installing JSDK?

102. Hi Friend
    I installed Oracle 11g on windows 7 pro 64 bit system. My only problem is SH schema tables are missing. For other schemas everything is working fine.
    Pls help me.

Thanks
    UB

ub

103. Ub, The SH Shipping History schema is a sample schema. As you can read about here:

Oracle® Database Sample Schemas

You need to run these scripts to create the SH schema.

104. Hi Mr.McLaughlin,
    I need to connect Oracle 9i database server through 11g client. Will this setup be same for installing only 11g client? I am running Win7 pro with 64- bit.

Thanks,
    Arni

Arni

105. Arni, There are fewer prompts but more or less the same.

106. Per my earlier post :

“I am running into the same issue with Arka. I am using Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit.

I installed Java 6 and it works. However, I later ran into another error that indicates {NS-20802] Oracle Net Configuration Assistent failed.

So, I decided to switch to 32bit oracle. It works.

Seems like the 32 bit oracle can be run at the 64 bit windows 7 ?

Reira

107. Reira, Yes you can run 32-bit or 64-bit on a 64-bit OS.

I suuceesfully installed 11G R2 (32-bit)Enterprise edition on Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). However, when I tried to go to the home page, it went to the site – https://localhost:1158/em
    and I got a warning saying there is a problem with the website’s security certificate. I got the following options -
    1. Click here to close this webpage.
    2. Continue to this website (not recommended)

I had read on other forums that selecting the second option should take me to the home page, but it did not.
    Is there anything wrong with my installation? I have read quite a few successful installations on Windows7 Home edition. Would adding the home page site to the trusted sites help?

Thanks
    NAD

NancyD

109. Nancy, Did you check this post.

110. Hi Mr.McLaughlin,
    Thanks for the prompt reply and all the very useful step by step instructions.

I could connect through Firefox by setting the hostname and ORACLE_UNQNAME at the command prompt.

But if I have to set the environment variable as shown here.

The variable name would be orcl (as this is the ORACLE_UNQNAME)
    What would be the variable value?

I am able to launch OEM through Firefox, buy why am I not able to launch the OEM through IE9?

Thanks for your help!!

NancyD

111. thanks a lot!!!

bandit

112. well.. everything goes fine untill and unless u start creating ur own instance….

common error is…. listener is not up or not configured with database…..

for orcl is default and provided http…1158/em link…

but when we create any instance like “flix” or “jlix”, by using DBCA , at last it doesn’t gives the link to open the database as in case of orcl…..

should we need to change any network configuration to create multiple instance by user for experimental and studies purpose.

hope admin or someone help me come out of this.

flix

113. Hello,
    Nice post!

I’m getting an issue when starts to install, say that is an error trying to load the library: GlobalVarQueries… What should I do?

I’m using win7 32 bits

Filipe

114. Flix, You should create a network connection before you create the new instance.

115. Hi Maclochlainn,
    When i run setup.exe present in the win64_11gR2_database_1of2\database\ folder, in COnfigure Security Update step, i am getting Connection Failed message in a pop-up window and asking me to specify proxy server information.
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS on my machine.
    Request your help in resolving this issue so that i can proceed with oracle 11g database installation.

srikanth

116. Unless you’re working in a corporate setting where the proxy server is required you can ignore it. That communication is to facilitate Oracle Support access to the database for patching.

117. Hi.
    Im getting the following error,while installing Oracle 11gR2.

Prerequisite Checks
    Some of the minimum requirement for installation are not completed. Review and fix the issues listed in the following.
    Checks:
    -Physical Memory
    -Available Physical memory
    -swap size
    If i ignore also, im not getting the next button enabled.

Im using Win 7 64 bit.

Pls help me with this.

Jasmine

118. HI Again,

now im getting the following error while installing…

File not found C:\app\dhanasej\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\owb\external\oc4j_applications\applications\WFMLRSVCApp.ear

pls suggest some solutions….

Jasmine

119. How much memory do you have on the box or allocated to the virtual machine?

120. Have you checked whether the file is there?

121. * HI…
    RAM is 2.00 GB… and 1.75 GB usable…

*yes,i hv checked the file,its not there….

Jasmine

122. Hi, I have windows 7 x64 and i start installation when it “Oracle Database Configuration Assistant” like step 11 then it prompt a box with the following errors:

Enterprise manager configuration succeeded with the following warning –
    Error starting Database Control. Please execute the following command(s).

1. Set the environment variable ORACLE_UNQNAME to Database unique name.
    2. C:\Oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin\emctl.bat start dbconsole

Whats that mean and what is the solution for this problem? Please give me solution.

Umair

nice work man
    i cannot get my password on step 4 about typical install configuration?it just keep on saying not following the standards of oracle i am doing as it say kindly tell me with an example.
    regards
    Talha

talha

124. Try this other post of mine and if you have more questions, let me know.

125. I’ll put a post out later tonight on that for you. By the way, you’re not the first to ask. I apologize for the delay but I’m on my way to speak at UTOUG Training Days 2013 shortly.

126. Talha, I put a post together for you here. It explains the recommended password rules.

127. Saludos, llevo días tratando de instalar oracle 11g r2, pero siempre es el mismo problema, en el paso de comprobaciones de requisito: Supuestamente no tengo memoria fisica pero en mi equipo hay algo de 2.4GB de memoria fisica disponible. Podrias darme alguna sugerencia porfavor, tengo win7 ultimate 64 bits. 4GB de RAm.

Reighn

128. I tried installing Oracle 11g on my windows 7, 64-bit version. everything worked fine untill i received an error in the last step of Database configuration. “Failed to unlock all EM related accounts”. Please help

Rakesh

129. I have the same problem as FLIX on 9 JAN 13 in that db orcl is accessible using the browser link to 1158 but the db I’ve created at port 5500 is not accessible. The broswer connect can’t find it. Is there a secret I need to know? Thanks.

I was following the above tutorial. I am on a Windows 7 Professional (64 bit). As per instruction, I downloaded both the 32 and 64 version of the jdk. When I run the setup.exe from the first zip, I get the error, that the java runtime environment was not found at bin\javaw.exe. Sorry if you have already covered this. What could be the cause?

Sreejitha

131. Did you unzip both files into a common directory before running setp?

132. Hi Mac,
    You article on oracle 11g installation it very good. Its very detailed. Good job.
    I am trying to install oracle 11g on windows 7 64 big laptop, I have downloaded both the files and extracted into one single folder. When I click on the setup.exe a windows appears which checks for display settings and disappears without any further window,I mean i dont get the select installation type window( the window in your second step of the installtion )Can you please suggest what could be wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

gita

133. Did you download 64-bit or 32-bit? If 64-bit, a Windows machine often has a BIOS setting that’s disabled by default. You must enable it. The other guess would be networking not enabled.

134. Hi Mac,
    Thanks for the reply. But which Bios setting should be enabled? also can you please let me know Where should I enable the networking ? I did download oracle 11g r2 for windows.

gita

135. Gita,unfortunately, it differs by vendors. I’ve not kept a log when fixing student configuration, and I work on a MacBook Pro and Mac Pro with virtualized Windows environments.

136. Dear Mac,

I have installed Oracle 11g R2 64 bit successfully on windows 7 Ultimate but it makes my laptop dead slow, it takes about 10-15 min to start up. I have 8 GB RAM, 30 GB free space in C drive, i5 processor. before installing oracle it is good, please help me out.

Roy

137. Go into Services and make Oracle and the listener manual services. The easiest way to launch it is to run services.msc.

138. Thanks a lot, it worked -:)

Roy

139. java run time environment not found at bi\javaw.exe

bharath

140. Where did the error occur in the installation?

When database configuration assistance begins its work, I get this error:
    TNS-04404: no error
    caused by: oracle.net.config.configexceptin: TNS-04414: File Error
    caused by: TNS04602: Invalid syntax error: Expected “LITERAL” before or at ‘ (DESCRIPTION

Thanks

Aleem

Aleem

142. Open the file in a text editor that lets you see special characters because it appears you’ve got a stray character in the file.

143. tnks 4 ds infor. I av a problem tho’, when I got to level 7 while extracting files, it stoped and a messag poped out, it says invalid stored block lengths. Pls wat might be d cause of this.

dan

144. Dan, what’s your physical machine? How much available disk space?

145. opw.msb missing while trying to create the database.

Any help pls..????

Vinay

146. What a brilliant set off instructions, clear and detailed. You answer questions with respect and courtesy, unlike the Oracle Support members who are often rude and condescending.
    The writers of the ‘official Oracle’ install documents seem to have been given the commission to write instructions that are confusing and convoluted. They often miss vital preliminary steps and as starred previously when asking an ORACLE Support Team member to explain what to do, as I saw yesterday the reply “I have seen this question twice in the last two days. It is obvious you don’t read the documentation!” And ORACLE management wonders why people go elsewhere for DB products.

Thank heavens for people like you and Uncle Tom.

Velcromman

147. I am trying to install oracle business intelligence and have installed a loopback adapter. I have set the preferred ip on ipv4 as 192.168.4.111.

127.0.0.1       localhost
    ::1             localhost
    27.0.0.1        lpeter.com    lpeter-pc
    192.168.4.111   lpeter.com   lpeter-pc

is this going to work

Peter igho

148. Peter, Should if you have …

127.0.0.1 lpeter.com   lpeter-pc

149. Splendid post; finally got Oracle 11gR2 installed on fourth try thanks to your clear instructions. Thank you for your generous efforts!

Jay W.

150. hello
    i have succesfuly install oracle 11g on
    windows 7. when i want to connect it give an error message: ORA-12154 could not resolve the connect identifier specified. thank for your help.

adja

151. Open your Windows’ services with the following command from a shell:

services.msc

Check if the Oracle listener and databases are running. If they’re running, you can try to check resolution of the Oracle network stack by using the following command (assuming the default orcl is the TNS alias in the tnsnames.ora file):

tnsping orcl

Please post the results, so I can tell you what to do next.